Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  28 years of experience and an award-winning educator.

What are the normal testosterone, estrogen, progesterone and cortisol ranges in women? At

What are the normal testosterone, estrogen, progesterone and cortisol ranges in women? At what level of each of these should you consider some kind of hormone supplement/therapy? Do natural therapies work?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 2 years ago.

Normal ranges are :

Estradiol (E2) on day 3 - 25-75pg/ml
Progesterone (P4) Day 3 < 1.5 ng/ml
Total Testosterone Day 3 6-86 ng/dl

Normally, cortisol levels rise and fall during the day, repeating on a 24-hour cycle (diurnal variation). Highest levels are at about 6 - 8 a.m. and lowest levels are at about midnight.

A hormone supplement is considered of the levels fall below the lowest number on the range.

No, natural therapies usually do not work - sometimes though phytoestrogens present in foods like soyabeans and flaxseeds can help to overcome estrogen deficiencies to some extent.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Clear as mud. When I went to a GP I was told my hormone levels have dropped but I am not yet menopausal. Then he pulled the usual doctor's trick of jumping to his feet and opening the door to get you out without taking up any more of his time. I realise this pushes the queue through faster. I did not think to ask for a copy of the results so I am going to go to another one today, get another blood test and insist on getting a copy of the results. The reason for my question was so I could look at the results myself and decide if I need to persevere with finding a doctor who is a little more interested or if it is a waste of time and money. Is Estradiol and indicator of your Estrogen levels or is Progesterone? There are no normal Estrogen levels indicated. I don't feel I am going to go there today any better equiped than before I asked this question.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
The normal ranges of these hormones are very wide. I do not usually test for these hormones except in very special circumstances because there is so much variation in the levels from day to day. This is especially true when women get into their 40s and closer to menopause. One of the reasons women have a variety of symptoms during menopausal transition is the wide variations from day to day and even hour to hour in these levels. I do not find it helpful to treat for any particular hormone level because it's a number that doesn't mean much in terms of how you are feeling. Occasionally testing hormone levels is useful but for the most part, because of the wide variations, I don't find it as useful as finding out in what way do you not feel well and try to address that more directly. Whether natural therapies work or not depends on what you mean. Good diet and exercise are natural therapy that certainly works for almost anything. With regards XXXXX XXXXX cohosh, soy products, etc, well-designed placebo controlled studies do not show benefit. In some situations use of natural progesterone can be helpful. Acupuncture has also been shown to be helpful in regulation of the endocrine (hormone) system in general. Obviously this conversation can go in many directions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. My period still shows up each month but mostly very very light and for one or two days. Every maybe 3rd or 4th period is one day and super super heavy for the 24 hours it lasts. However my PMS has gone through the roof - angry, intolerent - even I would prefer not to be in the same room as me in the 5 days prior. I have no energy or motivation and my sex drive has dropped to absolutely zero. I still force myself to exercise for at least half an hour each day (mostly jogging.) Normally this is enough for me to feel fit and motivated and it keeps me in shape but it is no longer doing the job. My diet is good - mostly meat, salad and vegetables. Very little processed foods. In the past 12 months the wrinkles on my face have become very pronounced and the fine hairs on my face are getting thicker and harder. I accept I am not going to feel like a 23 year old but I would like to feel better than this. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.

You have the right spirit. With regards XXXXX XXXXX there is a range of options. I will list all of them and provide details of any you'd like to the best of my ability:

1. close attention to diet and exercise, best diet advice I've seen is Michael Pollens In Defense of Food, exercise 15-60 minutes 6-7 days per week.

2. placebo controlled studies show benefit of Calcium 500mg twice daily

3. placebo controlled studies show benefit of Western herb Vitex aka Chasteberry, I do not know the dosages used in studies but the supplements will vary in strength depending on how the active ingredients have been extracted so I advise just following the directions on the bottle, you may also be able to do a deep google search and find the studies using search terms Vitex PMS placebo-controlled studies.

3. birth control pills to over ride your system and provide a steady level of hormones instead of your own erratic commotions

4. progesterone on cycle days 15 through 24, I usually use a natural progesterone brand Prometrium, it's easier to control dosing than using the progesterone creams out there

5. intermittent Prozac, it has a separate FDA approval for one week per month in controlling PMS, most of my patients consider this a last resort although I do have a handful who take me up on this one. It comes in an extended release so you take one pill per month starting on the day you begin feeling symptoms. Any questions? Please accept.

Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience: 28 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.

I forgot acupuncture. That can help too.