Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  Experienced in maternity and women's health
9324755

My period has started and smells like ammonia. I was treated

My period has started and smells like ammonia. I was treated for bacterial vaginosis 2 weeks ago. Should I go back to the doctor? I have no other forms of discharge.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

How long the smell is there? When the period has started?
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will gladly pay more for immediate response. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
I did not get any reply from you. How long the smell is there? When the period has started?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Background:

I had protected sex on dec 22 with someone who is unaware of any problems. On dec 27 I went in for what appeared I be a yeast infection. After the culture came back I was treated for BV. I took flagyl and doxycycline from Jan 1 to Jan 8. I still have a slight burn, very slight. I tested negative for a uti, chlymidia, and gonorrea. I went in this morning for a follow-up. I was also concerned about herpes however at my initial visit and follow-up I showed no physical signs of the virus. I have also been checking in between, no blisters, fever, swelling, or discharge I have had a strange "pain" in my sit bone and my leg has a strange sensation, like I need to stretch. I have read that this can be a symptom of herpes.

In addition I started my period today and started spotting. This is when I noticed the ammonia smell.

Please help this all make sense.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input,

Bacterial vaginosis can cause fishy smell. Usually after treatment infection should go away. But sometimes reinfection is possible. But you have been checked by doctor today. Sometimes menstrual bleeding can cause odd smell. It can occur due to imbalance of the normal bacterial flora of the vagina. Other infections can be associated. Avoid douching or scented liquid to clean. Use plain water for cleaning the area. If the symptoms continue after the menstrual cycle, repeat vaginal swab test should be taken to know the cause. I would suggest to get an examination by doctor again. Any query, please feel free to ask.

It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. What are you thoughts to my situation regarding leg pain and herpes?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

When doctor has checked and did not find any clue for herpes, it may not be there. Sometimes kidney infection or stone in the urinary system can cause pain which can radiate to leg. Urinary symptoms may not always present. You can have urine test and ultrasonography, culture and sensitivity test to know about the severity of the disease and appropriate management. Taking plenty of water is good for urinary tract infection or stone which helps to wash out the bacteria or tiny stone from the system.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am guessing that since I haven't has any blisters or sore that herpes is most likely not the culprit?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
When doctor has checked it today and did not find any clue for herpes, you should not worry about it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Just so much going on, I am planning for the worst. So it is not likely that the leg pain would be my only symptom for an initial outbreak?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
The leg pain is not the symptom of herpes outbreak.