khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Trained in OB & GYN for many years.
20084961

Ive been experiencing sharp stabbing pains in my pelvic area

Customer Question

I've been experiencing sharp stabbing pains in my pelvic area as well as my lower abdomen for over 8 months. More recently it has been getting worse. Along with it I am having what I would call extreme swelling of my stomach, hot spells, I'm not as steady on my feet and very itchy in my vaginal area. I'm a virgin and the longer this goes on, the more concerned I get. I had a laproscopy nearly two weeks ago where I was diagnosed with Endometriosis which has caused pelvic adhesions and my ovaries to be thethered together behind my womb. I'm wondering if there could be more to my symptoms than just Endometriosis. Please help me.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? If so, over what period of time?Do you have regular period? Have you had a pelvic exam and PAP smear lately?Abnormal vaginal discharge? If so, what does it look like? Does it have odor? Any skin change in the vagina area? Were the adhesions removed with the surgery? Do you have hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, mood swings, loss of libido?Do you have any other symptoms associated with your problem?Are you aware of anything which might have brought this on?Do you have any medical problems?Any surgeries?Are you taking any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs?Any family medical history?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm 162cm, I weigh 65.9kg. I have gained weight I would say over the last 3 months. I have regular periods but lately I been very heavy (I get usually get heavy periods). No I haven't had a pelvic exam or smear test - I 'm from the UK they don't give smear tests if you're a virgin. About 2 months ago I experienced an abnormal discharge brownish in colour and there was an odour. Yes there is a skin change in the vaginal area - spotty and scaly patches. No the adhesions weren't removed with the surgery. Yes I have hot flashes, night sweats, no vaginal dryness and I experience some mood swings moreso when my period is approaching. Not sure what you mean by loss of libido but like I said I'm a virgin. My legs ache and I could be doing nothing - That's not as frequent. I'm not aware of anything that might have brought this on. I've been diagnosed with anaemia due to my heavy periods. The only surgery I've had is laproscopy. Only medication I'm taking is the pain killers I mentioned earlier. I take iron liquid for the anaemia. Family medical history? My parents suffered from high blood pressure, my dad has artheritis and had a problem with his prostate.
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
Did you have ultrasound? Do you have severe pain during periods? Since you have regular periods, your other symptoms are not due to premature ovarian failure (menopause). You gained weight. Over active thyroid (hyperthyrodism) is ruled out. Exactly where is the pain? On a scale of 1-10, what is it? What does it feel like? Which is more painful when you press in or let go? Does it radiate to anywhere else? Does anything make it better or worse? When did it start? Is it constant? Is it getting worse?Occasional high blood pressure? headaches? palpitations? diarrhea? breathing problem? vision problem? Tingling sensation? Numbness?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have had a number of ultrasounds. Yes I have severe parin during my periods. The pain travels - usually my lower abdomen, by back passage, my lower back and the sides of my vagina, Considering that usually I have a high pain threshold for me it's about an 8 I can only describe it as a sharp stabbing pain - intermittent. Can't really pinpont when it most painful but the last time I got examined I found it more painful when pressed in. The areas I've mentioned are where the pain is severe. I sometimes get pain in my shoulders and under my left armpit (where there seems to sores and weeps). The pain is intermitment but can last several minutes. I take the pain killers when I can't bear it. Last time I was examined my blood pressure was slightly lower than expected but the examiner wasn't concerned. Yes I get headaches, no palpitations, I'm more constipated than diarrhea - when I go, I don't feel like I've fully gone, I've had times of shortness of breath and blurry vision, I've had tingling sensation in my hands no numbness.
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
The pelvic and abnormal pain seems to be due to endometriosis. You should take hormonal medications such as estrogen/progestin pills for endometriosis (without placebo pills), progestin, GnRH agonist with low dose estrogen/progestin. It they don't work, you should have laparoscopy to remove the adhesions. The abnormal vaginal discharge seems to be bacteria infection. You should have the discharge examined under the microscope and get antibiotics if it is bacteria infection.Do you have swollen lymph nodes? Do you have stress, worry, anxiety at work or home? Do you have the following tender points?Back of the headBetween shoulder bladesTop of shouldersFront sides of neckUpper chestOuter elbowsUpper hipsSides of hipsInner kneesDo you feel tired?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not a Dr so I don't know what lymph nodes are! The only worry, stress, anxiety I have at the moment is not knowing what it fully wrong with me. The Gyne that operated said it's too risky to operate on me because of the tethering of my ovaries, they recommended I go on the contraceptive pill to avoiding further progression of endometriosis. The tender points I have are in my stomach and vaginal area. I constantly feel tired - the only reason why I'm still up is I'm looking for some kind of answer and have a dry mouth (even after I've drank).
Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
Do you have problem adjusting to cold temperature? Dry skin? Fragile nails? Tremor? Loss of outer eyebrows? Hair loss? Sleep problem? Voice change? Muscle pain? Joint pain? Dry eyes? Cough? Fever? Swollen nodes in your neck, armpits or groin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No problem adjusting to cold temperature. Yes I have dry skin and dry hair (this isn't normal for me), no tremor, no loss of outer eyebrows. About 3 months ago I started experiencing hair loss at the sides of my hairline (it'e started to grow back). There are times when I'm unable to sleep although I feel sleepy and other times when I sleep and then wake up unable to sleep again. Yes I have a cough that comes and goes, Can't say I've had a fever and quite often I would feel swollen nodes in my left armpit (the same armpit that is sore, rashy and weepy).

I'm going to try and get some sleep, like I said I'm in the UK and it's just gone 3.20 in the morning. This doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast. I'll reply to any more questions when I wake up.

Expert:  khagihara replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for staying with me late at night. There are some possibilities for the hot flashes and night sweats. 1. Systemic mastocytosis: Increase of the mast cell and its precursor cells, which is one of blood cell types in the skin, lymph nodes, liver, spleen, gastrointestinal tract, bones, and joints with a predisposition to peptic ulcer due to excess stomach acid. It causes abdominal pain, anemia, itching, and so forth. 2. Neurological flushing: It is due to anxiety, brain tumors, or migraine headaches. You have unsteady feet and tingling sensation. The mouth dryness, fatigue, constipation, weight gain, joint pain, muscle pain could be due to under active thyroid (hypothroidism). You should have a blood test (tryptase, TSH), a bone marrow aspiration, neurological exam, and MRI of the brain. Any questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't feel anymore satisfied or like I've got any clear answers. Thanks anyway but I feel I'm going round in circles and no closer to a solution.