Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

Hello, I have tiny bumps on the two sides below my vagina,

Hello, I have tiny bumps on the two sides below my vagina, outside the vagina, between labia and anal areas, i have taken photos and videos... How can I know if these are genital warts or something contagious? Please help urgently as this could cause a serious problem in my new marriage.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 2 years ago.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If you can find a site to upload the pictures, I can review them for you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Do you have any genital pain or a recent fever?

Customer:

no

Customer:

i currently have my period since yesterday

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

What color are the bumps, are there several? Have you used any new soaps, bath products, detergents, etc?

Customer:

i had sex with my husband monday night... started itchiness tuesday morning; which is something i had for several months starting in the summer but it went away on its own i'd thought it was a bartholin cyst- wednesday noticed lots of little bumps

Customer:

they are same colour as my skin and blend in with my skin

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Are those bumps painful to touch?

Customer:

yes, i did try a new water-based lubricant before sex... and it did feel a bit irritated within a few hours

Customer:

no, they are not painful to touch

Customer:

(but only very very very slightly irritated / burning slightly around 3 hours after external lubricant use)

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Good. Since the irritation started within a few hours of using that product and having intercourse, this most likely is not an STD. Most likely this is indeed an allergic reaction.

Customer:

i usually itch in that area every time i'm stressed.. i am prone to itching from stress - psoriasis like

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Using a diaper rash cream can help soothe your irritated areas.

Customer:

does it matter what the bumps look like? i've been itchy / irritated there before and sometimes 3 or 4 months at a time... but never ever with lots of tiny bumps - usually just one slightly swollen lump

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If you are scratching, you can develop an actual skin condition where the skin becomes thicker due to the scratching which leads to continued itching. This is called lichen simplex chronicus. Your ob/gyn can confirm if this is the cause and prescribe powerful steroid cream if so.

Customer:

i'd say the skin irritation started morning after sex approximately

Customer:

this time around i did not scratch, but in the past, when i was irritated there for a few months, i did rub the area from frustration

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yes, it matters what they look like. What you describe does not sound like anything except an allergic reaction.

Customer:

even if some of the bumps look a little cauliflower-like (but not protruding greatly, very little)???

Customer:

may i send you a photo just in case, or should i just relax? big reason why i'm stressing is because my husband would want to have sex over the holidays - and this is a new marriage - if i hold back and bring this up, it could turn into a disaster....

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If they look cauliflower like they should have been present for a while. This appearance is a characteristic of genital warts. They do not usually cause any irritation symptoms.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

They would also remain even though you feel better.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You can't send a photo, but can post it to a website online for me to review.

Customer:

ok, which website?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You can do a search for one...like a blog. When you post it, send me a link so I can review it.

Customer:

ok, will you be there for around 30 minutes? it could take me a while to do this, is that possible?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Just make sure there's no identifying information on it.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yes, I'll be here.

Customer:

ok... i'll keep this window open and work on the photo posting...

Customer:

- these bumps appeared within approximately 30 to 40 hours after intercourse

Customer:

does that mean if contagious, i caught it from my partner?

Customer:

i'm trying to figure out if i should refrain from sex this week, until the testing clinics re-open on jan. 3rd (which could cause a war in my marriage - i'm afraid)

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

No. There is no infection that would cause you to develop a rash that quickly.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

This sounds more like an allergic reaction.

Customer:

ok, great - i will post the photos and get back to you... please give me around 20 minutes thanks a lot

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

sure

Customer:

hello

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

yes, I'm here

Customer:

is this blog of ours going to be publicized?

Customer:

because when i give you the web link, it could identify me.

Customer:

i have posted pic to a personal site, but i have control over that site - nobody ever visits it - then i will DELETE the pic soon after you've assessed it.. is that ok?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yes, it can be viewed by anyone who has the link. However, your name is XXXXX XXXXX to it.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

yes

Customer:

oh... sorry - i will have to find a different website then, because the link goes to a personal website that identifies me... sorry i have to find another site

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

ok

Customer:

http://cache.hostmyjpg.com/75a4859a88_svaginalirritation_rightside1.jpg

Customer:

hello, this is just 1 side of the bumps - the other opposite side has similar bumps, maybe more... do you see them?

Customer:

hello...

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yes, it looks as if the bumps are at 7:00-8:00 right?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i can upload 1 more that shows both sides with similar bumps

Customer:

or is this enough info?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Let me see the other side.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

It doesn't look like warts or herpes.

Customer:

ok, the 2nd pic is darker, but you see both sides nonetheless... just a moment

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Herpes usually have thin vessicles (fluid filled) bumps. Warts look very dry.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

However, I wouldn't expect an allergic reaction to be so raised as this appears.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

just posting the 2nd pic

Customer:

www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1irHvcdNdzrDK7bDfKtPEsb1d7PV8u1

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

This is on the exact opposite, right? So, if you're legs were closed they would touch each other?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

is this aligned with bartholin glands, or have anything to do with that area? just wondering

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

No, the Bartholin's glands are just inside the vagina in the pink area when you open the inner labia (lips).

Customer:

ok

Customer:

do you need a closer / brighter pic / more close up?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

So, the second picture does look more like Herpes. The fact that they are opposite each other is a characteristic of herpes lesions. We call this "kissing lesions." However, I don't know that it should cause an issue in your marriage.

Customer:

how so? is this not contagious and permanent?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Some will only have itching and not have the characteristic painful lesions. I would recommend you visit an ob/gyn and have cultures and blood tests taken to confirm.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Because if you didn't know you had herpes, then it wasn't like you were hiding the condition from him.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

As long as he knew you were not a virgin, he shouldn't hold this against you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Herpes only causes a rash...nothing serious. There are meds to help this go away. Hopefully, he or his/your doctor can advise him why he really shouldn't let this affect him.

Customer:

we are newly wed and we've only known each other 2 months - did i catch this from another partner? i've only been intimiate with him for 1 month

Customer:

would he also catch it?

Customer:

how long ago would i have caught this?

Customer:

(from point of infection, how long does it take to appear?)

Customer:

would the meds make it go away permanently, or just temporarily and it would keep coming back?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Since you both are new to each other, blood tests may help sort this out. IgG and IgM are substances your body makes to the herpes virus. IgG is present when you have had herpes for a while. IgM is only present if you have a new infection. If both of you are tested, your doctor can determine which of you had the infection first. Only if neither have IgM and both of you have IgG would we know that both of you have had herpes for a long time and not known about it. Herpes can show up within a month of having a new partner, but sometimes it will take months or years before anyone ever have an outbreak.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Medications for herpes will help it go away, but there is no cure. Typically, outbreaks occur in times of stress/illness. However, taking one anti-herpes virus pills per day can make your outbreaks very rare.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Also, if you do test positive, and he negative, taking medication daily will not only help prevent outbreaks, but can also help him remain free of the virus.

Customer:

can i go to a walk-in clinic tomorrow and ask for this medication from a family physician? How long will it take for the rash to clear after i take the meds?

Customer:

(that's my last question)

Customer:

but i should refrain from intercourse until the rash is cleared, otherwise he'll catch it while rash is active?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

No problem. Yes, you can certainly go to a clinic for medication. Typically, Valtrex is prescribed. The length of the rash varies from individual to individual. The medications will shorten the duration they are out. You should refrain from intercourse until the lesions and itching/other symptoms resolve.

Customer:

ok, thank you

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Correct. He is more likely to catch it when the lesions are active.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You're welcome. Don't forget to delete your pics.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I wish you the best. If you have additional questions, please ask. If none, please click "Accept." Thank you.

Experience: With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.