Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I have little bumps on my vaginal area. They dont hurt and

Customer Question

I have little bumps on my vaginal area. They dont hurt and they never go away or come back. They dont look like anything I have seen online (ie, herpes, or genital warts) They dont burst or get crusty and come off or anything like that. I can squeeze some of them and a bit of white discharge will come out, almost like a regular pimple anywhere else, some of them just do nothing. I have had them for a long time, and they never bother me. I have a pelvic exam tomorrow, which has caused me an insane amount of stress. Since last night my vagina has become itchy. Is this a bad sign or could I have stressed my way into this?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 5 years ago.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Do these bumps look as if though there is a dimple or small stalk in the middle?

Customer:

No I dont think so

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

What color are they?

Customer:

They arent even really on top of my skin, rather just apart of it.

Customer:

The color of the rest of my skin, some a little more white

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

This sounds like inclusion cysts. It is similar to acne in that the skin glands can become clogged, except that acne usually causes a red bump. Inclusion cysts occur within the skin and you may notice lumps in the skin instead of acutal raised bumps.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Warm soaks in a tub with Epsom salt usually helps them resolve.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

It helps the pores dilate so that they can drain.

Customer:

Sometimes rarely one will become irritated and a bit swollen and white discharge will come out, also like it has been infected. Is that normal?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

When that happens, is it more toward the inside of the labia (lips)?

Customer:

Also, what about the itchyness...could this just be from my stress and worry? If i just dont think about it the itchyness goes away. If I scratch then it just feels worse.

Customer:

No, more towards the top of my vagina, above the clitoris, but off more to the sides.

Customer:

That has maybe happened twice in the last few years.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Do you shave.

Customer:

Yes I do.

Customer:

But when they did become irritated it was not in an area with hair. However, shaving does seem to irriate my skin in general...anywhere actually...including my arm pits.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

This may be irritation from the cream you use or lack thereof and return of hair thereafter. Since there are not actual changes to the skin as far as redness, it doesn't sound like anything serious.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Try to change your shaving product to a sensitive skin version.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

The genital area can be more sensitive than your arm pits, so I am not surprised you do not have symptoms elsewhere where you shave.

Customer:

If this were herpes or genital warts or something of that nature, would this bumps go away and come back, or could they consistently stay there and not do anything?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Herpes is very painful to the touch. Even the lightest touch...like a feather causes significant pain. Gential warts are very hard and raised above the skin. They would look like very dry, scaly bumps.

Customer:

I see. Thats not at all like what I have. Mine dont bother me at all, and are smooth under my skin.

Customer:

Should I been embarassed by these for my exam tomorrow? Or is this normal and common?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Are you seeing a gynecologist.

Customer:

I am seeing my regular doctor for a pap smear.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Well, you shouldn't be embarrased. Most likely your doctor will not notice unless you point them out.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Even a gynecologist may not notice, but you certainly shouldn't be embarrased, we see far worse, trust me. :) But this is our specialty. We are here so that you do not have to be embarrased when it pertains to your vagina.

Customer:

I hope you are right! I have been a mess worrying about this all week. Should I mention the itchyness I am experiencing? Could it be stress related? I have made the area a bit red from itchying and washing.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I can't say that I have heard of stress causing genital itching. Absolutely, you should mention it and allow him/her to look and feel the lumps under your skin. You may be prescribed a cream to help or you may be referred to a gynecologist.

Customer:

Alright, I will do that. I feel a bit more confident now for my appointment. Thank you.