Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I have a sharp pain in my vagina (feels like a needle sticking

I have a sharp pain in my vagina (feels like a needle sticking me) and it is quick to come and go and has been going on since 8:00 this morning (12/04/2011) i don't know whether to go to the hospital or just wait to see if it passes. what should I do?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Are you possibly pregnant?
Where specifically are you feeling this pain - is it low or high in the vagina, or even possibly in the pelvis itself?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It starts at the beginning of my vagina and feels like it goes to my bladder. No, I am not pregnant.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
This just started after you had sex, correct?
Any problems with urination?
Does it burn to urinate?
Is there any blood?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, it started 30 minutes before I had sex because that's what I thought was wrong. No blood and urination is fine. could it be my bladder putting pressure on my pelvic area and pinching nerves?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
This could be many things - this could be an Urinary tract infection, an urinary tract stone, this could be an ovarian cyst, this could be a vaginal infection - and this could be a yeast infection or even a vaginal laceration (unlikely since this occurred prior to sex). Also, this could be a folliculitis pimple, or even a herpes outbreak (if you have herpes) - so I would recommend a pelvic exam with an ob/gyn if you can get into see an ob/gyn within the next week - usually the ER doctors will not be able to find anything so it would be hard for an emergency doctor to help you.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you