Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182
OB GYN

I am 60 years old and am having a daily vaginal discharge that

is light yellow (it will... Show More
is light yellow (it will stain my underwear if I don't wear a panty liner). I also have itching, which I've had much longer than the discharge. Advice?
I assume the hormone cream that your doctor prescribed was estrogen. Have you tried that? Thank you.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
No, I have not, as it was about $160 and not covered by insurance. I wanted to try something else, plus I'm not entirely sure I want to use an estrogen based cream, as I have been 'sensitive' to hormonal estrogen in the past.
Most likely your discharge and itching are due to low estrogen. After menopause, when estrogen levels fall, the vaginal tissues become very thin and fragile. This can result in what is called atrophic vaginitis, which is an inflammation of the fragile vaginal tissues. The only thing that will really help this condition is estrogen, either by mouth or with a vaginal cream. Most likely using an estrogen vaginal cream nightly for about 1 week, and then as needed (twice weekly?), your symptoms would disappear. There are virtually no side effects to vaginal estrogen, and not enough gets to the rest of your body to have any effect on breasts and other organs. By looking on line, it's possible to buy estrogen cream reasonably. At this site http://www.completeonlinepharmacy.com/product-details/generic-estradiol-vaginal-cream-1.0mg/gm-15gm-%28generic-equivalent%29/262.html you can get 3 tubes of estradiol cream for $39. Estradiol is the estrogen that your ovaries were making during your menstruating life. If you give it a try, I think you'll be quite happy with it. Best wishes.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
So, I don't need a prescription for the online purchase? It was a prescription cream that my Dr. was prescribing.
Thank you.
If it's sold in the US, you need a prescription. When sold on line outside the US, I don't think they require a prescription (although I'm not completely sure). Since your doctor gave you a prescription, it shouldn't be a problem either way.