Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

52 years old, my menstrual cycle had completely stopped.

52 years old, my menstrual cycle had completely stopped. Dr. put me on hormone medication to treat hot flashes, and it started back up. Came back worse than ever and now I've had my period for over 2 weeks and no sign of slowing down. Very heavy. is this normal for menopause?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Since you are on hormones this is more than likely due to the hormones and if just for hot flashes you really should be on other medications such as clonidine (aka Catapress), and I would also recommend getting this bleeding evaluated to ensure this just due to the hormones and not due to other reasons such as a Polyp, a dysplasia (precancer) or a Cancer.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
You definitely need a full pelvic exam, a pelvic ultrasound, an Endometrial biopsy, a TSH thyroid blood test and a PAP smear - and you might just need high dose estrogen or progeseterone to stop the bleeding.
You also need to see if you are anemic.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I had stated I have quit taking the medication, many months ago, expecting it to stop once again. It has not and now it's continual.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.
Since you have stopped and you are bleeding - then it is MORE important to get this evaluated wih a pelvic ultrasound, an Endometrial biopsy, a TSH thyroid blood test and a PAP smear - and you might just need high dose estrogen or progeseterone to stop the bleeding.
It is really important that you do this.
You also need to see if you are anemic.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate