Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I am 43 years old, not on birth control. My period comes every

Customer Question

I am 43 years old, not on birth control. My period comes every 4 weeks, sometimes a day or two early. For the last couple of years, my periods have been lasting from 10 - 12 days, heavy flow on days 2-5, sometimes with alot of clots. My OB/GYN checked me out and said no fibroids, cysts, or polyps. She felt it was due to my hyperthyroid condition, which has been maintained now for a year 1/2 with medication. It has gone slightly hypo on 2 occassions (I see my primary doctor for this every 3 months), but we've adjusted my medication. I currently take Xanax XR for Panic Disorder (chemical imbalance is the cause), Toprol XL for benign PVC's, and Methimazole for the thyroid condition. I have 2 children, 23 & 20. My ex-partner had a vasectomy the first week of June. We had sex without a condom after his doctor cleared him in mid July (July 13th or 14th). I had my period start on time (2 days early) on July 25th. We are no longer together, as he and his wife decided to get back together. My period lasted about 8 days, 2 days of heavy flow. Normal period. In August, my period started on time (2 days early again) on Aug 20th. It lasted around 8 days again, 2 days of heavy flow and a few clots. Normal period. Some months I have bad cramping and in Aug I did have the cramping where I had to use a heating pad. In September, my period starting about 2 days early again, on Sept 15th. This one lasted 12 days, 3 days of heavy flow, and a few clots. Normal period. In October, my period started on October 10th, 3 days early. The first two days were lighter than normal, reddish brown in color. 2 days later it became a normal flow period, heavy on a few days, then it just continued. This period lasted until Oct 30th or 31st. It stayed red until the very end. Normally mine turn brown the last day or two. This one didn't turn brown until the end of the last day. By my normal starting time, I should have started on Nov 7th, or a couple of days early. To date, I still have not started. I had some of my normal PMS syptoms (bloating, my face broke out really bad this month), but the day before I was supposed to start, I had some extreme stress going on in my life that affected my family and job to the point that I was nervous, depressed and shaking all day long. This went on for several days until I was able to talk to several people about it and put some of it behind us. There is still some stress from the situation in regards XXXXX XXXXX work, but I'm hoping it will all be OK. I am worried now, after finding out that my ex-partner did not in fact get checked out by his doctor, if there is any possibility that I could actually be pregnant. I have never missed a period in my life, except for the two times I was pregnant when I was 19 & 22. I have not really gained any weight since July, in fact I went on Atkins for 2 weeks in August, and that didn't agree with my panic disorder so I was just eating healthy and working out some. At my last thyroid checkup in September, my doctor didn't like my weight of 154 (I am 5'3") as I was 146 at this time last year, so she told me to go on a 1200 calorie diet. I stuck to mainly a 1200-1400 calorie diet for about a month, then increased back up to 1500. I lost a few pounds, but have since put those few back on, so I am still at 154 (149 without shirt, jeans, and shoes). I am fearful that possibly I am pregnant and just do not realize it. I know it's not possible to have a regular 8 - 12 day period each month and still be pregnant, but that is my fear, because of what all is going on in my life right now. I feel that I am late due to the stress, but I can't help but worry. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I was supposed to start, and I am not having any period symptons. Likewise, I am not having any pregnancy symptoms either. I do not have an increased appetite, I have not put on alot of weight, my nipples have not changed color, they are no more sensitive than usual. I do feel very bloated, but that might be PMS or the addition of foods that I have not had in several months. Any advice would be helpful. I have not taken a HPT test yet, but I was intending to get one in the morning on my way to work and take it then. Is there any possiblity I could be pregnant from an encounter 4 months ago, and have had regular periods and then one extremely long period during that time?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
So you are 2 weeks late, is that your question - why are you late?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I am concerned as to why my period is 2 weeks later after having normal periods, except for last month's, which lasted 3 weeks.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
I would highly recommend a pregnancy test - but given what you have said in your question, unlikely you are pregnant so most likely the pregnancy test will be negative.
So, other reasons could be your anxiety/ stress/ depression, but this could also be a thyroid condition, a weight problem (if you are overweight or underweight), also this could be an elevated prolactin level, or that you are heading towards menopause - perimenopause.
So, have your doctor do a TSH thyroid blood test, a FSH - follicle stimulating hormone blood test and a Prolactin level.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is it possible to be pregnant since July and have had 4 periods since then, 3 regular length and heaviness, and one that lasted for 3 weeks?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
The only way to know is with a pregnancy test - this is exactly what we as ob/gyn's do - we use tests -
Plesae click on ACCEPT for answering all of your questions, thank you
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Also, given you have had longer periods, you need to be evaluted for fibroids, polyps, dysplasia and cancer.
Take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understand that the only way to know for certain is with a pregnancy test. I intend to take one. What I am asking you, as the OB/GYN, is have you ever in your years of medical experience known of anyone or heard of anyone that has had regular monthly periods for several months, yet turned out they were pregnant for several months? Is that possible? My understanding was that you could not have monthly periods AND be pregnant at the same time, as the uterine lining can not shed if you are pregnant. Is it advisable to take an HPT at night, or would morning be better for the most accurate results?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
All that information you just wrote is incorrect.
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert was very vague and did not answer several of the questions I asked.
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 3 years ago.

It is extremely unlikely that you are pregnant. Once pregnancy occurs, the uterine lining stops shedding (which you already know)and periods no longer occur.

Some women have irregular bleeding during the first few months but this is not a normal period and is not regular.

Your are late this month, because you had continued to bleed for a very long time last month - upto the 30th october. This plus your stress caused a delay in the ovulation in this month (November)

It takes at least 3 weeks for the the endometrium (uterine lining) to grow to a thickness to produce a period. Going by that you should get your period only after the 20th of November.

You can expect the dates of your period to vary a bit in the next 3 months since it could take about 3 months for the hormonal balance to regularise after a period of imbalance.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
I will let Dr. Mazumdar help you from here - have a good evening...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Mazumdar,

I took a home pregancy test (EPT digital readout) last night and it showed "Not Pregnant". I took one again with the first urination this morning, and it too showed "Not Pregnant". I just can't shake this fear that I might be pregnant from an incident 4 months ago. I know I am making myself stressful about this. I was curious, you mentioned that my stress and the longer period in October would have delayed my ovulation for November....normally I would have ovulated in late October since my period SHOULD have ending around Oct 22nd, but instead lasted until Oct 31st. The stress was initiated on Nov 6th, and by my original calender of every 4 weeks starting date for my period, my start date would have been Nov 7th. I realize this could have been thrown off due to the long 3 week period. I have just never been late in my life, more than a couple of days, except for when I was pregnant. If I was indeed 4 months pregnant, I would think I would have gained weight, not lost a few lbs on both the Atkins diet and then the low calorie diet. I keep trying to tell myself these things in order to calm down, but it's not working. Even seeing the "Not Pregnant" on the digital display did not calm my fears. If I were indeed pregnant, it would not be a good thing right now, and I think that is what is triggering all of this anxiety over the though that I might be, since my period is so late and I am NEVER late. I realize I am also getting older (43) and my periods will start to change. And the fact that I have had very heavy periods for the past 2 years (some days going through a tampon and pad within 2 hours) I'm sure has not helped, but my doctor doesn't feel there is anything we need to do right now.

I just wanted to find out if you have ever heard of anyone having regular monthly periods (on time, regular flow - heavy flow, lasting normal length of time (8-12 days for me)) for 4 months yet still be pregnant. I am so sorry I continue to ask, but I keep reading articles on the internet where women post that their mother or grandmother or friend had their periods all the way through their pregnancies, and I just don't see how that can happen, unless you had very irregular periods and had light periods, so maybe they just had spotting during their pregnancy, but thought it was a period. Also, I'm trying to remember, for someone at 4 months of pregnancy, wouldn't they have gained weight by this time? And felt the baby move? I keep telling myself none of this has happened so I need to calm down, but it's not working. :-(

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would like my $38 deposit refunded. I have waited over 3 hours for a reply and no one has replied. This was noted as being sent to all OB/GYN people.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.

I am sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

Let me reassure you that you are not pregnant. in my more than 20 years of practice, no woman has had normal regular monthly periods during their pregnancy Whatever bleeding has occurred was irregular with variable flow. This was often reported as normal periods. But this bleeding was usually due to other causes like cervical erosion etc.

Weight increase in the first 3 months of pregnancy is very low. the maximum weight increase occurs in the middle and late trimester. So at 4 months, you may not have any weight gain or minimal weight weight gain.

The movement of the baby can be felt at around 18-20 weeks - approximately 4-5 months. Most women usually feel it around 5 months rather than 4 .

Since you are so worried about a pregnancy, please ask your doctor for an ultrasound - this will be absolutely accurate and will help rest your worried.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)