Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I have a musky odor in my vagina area. I have suffered for

I have a musky odor in my vagina area. I have suffered for BV for several years and I am currently taking vitamins and fem-dolphus. What do I need to do to get rid of the odor?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 4 years ago.
Does the odor go away for a little while when you take Metro gel or clindamycin? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when I have a fishy odor, and I use the metrogel or the clyindamycin then the fishy odor goes away but I have a terrible yeast infection. I never tried the medicine for the musky odor. Right now I am taking the fem-dolphus and folic acid; i am washing with hydrogen perioxide. Is the perioxide causing the odor?
When you say you're washing with hydrogen peroxide, does that mean you're douching with it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no. I do not douche with it. I only clean the outside area with the perioxide.
As long as you're only using the peroxide on the outside, I don't think it would cause an odor. The fishy odor must be from BV, and it's fairly common that it comes back after treatment. The musky odor is likely from something else, which could be stress, or something that you're eating or taking (medications, even vitamins). I would try to eat a very bland diet and stop all medications possible to see if the musky odor goes away. If it does, then it takes some detective work to figure out which caused it. If not, I would work on stress (reduce it or increase exercise, good nutrition, plenty of sleep). Best wishes.