Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

the skin on the area around my clitoris / meatus is peeling.

the skin on the area around my clitoris / meatus is peeling. I thought it looked like toilet paper, but as I peeled it off, it is not paper, It seems like skin. It appeared white, no drainage. No recent sex. Hysterectomy a year ago.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

When the skin is peeling in this area, this suggests you have developed a yeast infection. I recommend you purchase an over the counter anti yeast kit like Gyne-Lotrimin or Monistat. Purchase a 3 day or 7 day "Combination Pack." This will contain the vaginal insertion tubes to use nightly and a separate tube of cream to apply to the external areas that you can see twice per day for a full 7 days. The skin will return to normal. Just to let you know...when you use a vaginal anti-yeast kit, you will experience irritation for about 15 minutes after use. This is normal and will improve with continued use as the infection is resolving.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I wish you the best. If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask. If none, please click "Accept." Thank you.

Customer:

I have had yeast infections years ago, they didn't seem to be localized like this is. The vaginal treatment used back then was inserted into the vagina - will this still work for an infection that isn't "in" the vagina.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

The external cream will work on the external areas...use it twice per day for 7 days on those areas.

Customer:

Thank you!