Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

can hpv lie dormant for 30 years. need as much info on this

can hpv lie dormant for 30 years. need as much info on this that you can supply. wife had normal pap but docter did hpv test anyway. it showed positive. she is scared to death. said before we were married. she was 20 years old and had oral sex performed on her.she is now 51 and all her paps always came back normal this is first hpv test.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Yes, HPV CAN lie dormant for life and can re-activate at any point in your life and this is why it is still IMPORTANT to get PAP smears and pelvic exams even after menopause.
Also, we did NOT start routinely test for HPV until a few years ago - so she might never have had a HPV test done as this was not part of the PAP smear protocol until recently.
I Hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, if you have more questions, please ask
Thank you