Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I have this heavy feeling in my lower abdomen. It feels like

I have this heavy feeling in my lower abdomen. It feels like I am carrying a baby low or a sack of potatoes. I have gotten this feeling off and on for the last 5 years. I've had it for 2 weeks now. I have had 3 c-sections and 2 d&cs. I have yearly exams and I always come out fine. It hasn't hurt when I have urinated this time around but in the past it would throb. Not like a uninary infection hurts when you pee. It isn't like that. I am having regular bowel movements. I don't feel bad I just feel like my stomach is stretching and I want to wear lose clothing. Sex does not hurt. What could this be? I am heathy with just thyroid problem. I am 43 years old.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
What is more than likely occurring is due to your 3 c-sections that you have had - and when you have surgery like this especially multiple surgeries, you will more than likely have scar tissue from the uterus to the abdominal wall inside - and this is NOT bad, but it can definitely make you feel the way you do.
IF you really want to get this under control, I would suggest a diagnostic Laparoscopy which is a camera in the abdomen and your doctor can take down the adhesions, and this might make you feel better.
I hope this helps and if you have more questions, please ask
Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have thought of this before. I also had a hysteromy in that same spot so that makes since. I feel like I am having brakston hicks contractions. I thought it might be related to my colon but you don't feel that way right? Sitting down does seem to bother it more than walking although I do wake up with it bothering me in the morning. Thank you for your reply and help.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
This is more than likely due to adhesions (scar tissue) and really whether or not you have have a uterus - just because you have had all of these operations, your abdomen / pelvis will have a fair amount of adhesions - which any surgeon can try and remove laparoscopically.
I Hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, if you have more questions, please ask
Thank you
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate