Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator

I have something soft protruding out of my vagina. It feels

I have something soft protruding out of my vagina. It feels like that thing just inside back wall. If you could show me a picture I could name it.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 5 years ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX and I will be happy to assist you today.

You like have one of three things: a rectocele (part of your rectum bulging out into your vagina... occurs on the bottom of vagina), a cystocele (part of your bladder protruding into your vagina, usually from the top side) or pelvic organ prolapse (your uterus/cervix protruding down into your vagina).

Typically an exam by an ob/gyn can determine which one if is... the treatment varies -- if it is not causing any trouble, it can be just watched. If it is causing pain/discomfort or issues peeing/having a bowel movement, surgery may be needed.

Assuming it is one of the three issues mentioned above, it typically is not something to worry about. This is quite common in women over the age of 60, especially those that have had vaginal deliveries in the past or are a little overweight, although they can occur in women who are healthy, normal weight, and never had a vaginal delivery before.

Please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. Thank you!

~ Dr. Z