Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I have a vaginal odor that smells like onions, what could it

Customer Question

I have a vaginal odor that smells like onions, what could it be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 years ago.
How long has it smelled like onions?
Do you eat much onions?
Do you use any estrogen? Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has been like this a couple weeks and I do not eat a lot of onions. I take premarin every other day (0.45 mg)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you there?
A vaginal odor is usually either the result of something we've eaten or else a change in vaginal bacteria, since bacteria can produce many different odors. Since you don't eat a lot of onions, I would guess that your vaginal bacteria have changed for some reason. Estrogen helps to keep the vaginal tissues healthy and the bacteria more normal, so apparently it's not a lack of estrogen. Sometimes stress will cause changes in the bacteria we carry, so it may be related to that. If the onion odor persists, it would be good to see your doctor to see if there is any vaginal infection that might be responsible. There is no infection that typically causes an onion odor, but since each person's chemistry is different, it's possible that you have some vaginal infection (like bacterial vaginosis) that causes a different odor in other women, but causes an onion odor for you. I doubt that the onion odor is anything serious or anything to worry about. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not except this answer because it did not help me at all. I am not paying you and a doctor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I will refer you to Customer Service for a refund.