Dr.JBB
Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  15 yrs experience in Women's Health, Pelvic reconstruction and Incontinence
24231911

I have a constant anal and vaginal itch and burning. Drs have

I have a constant anal and vaginal itch and burning. Drs have given me prescription Hydrocortisone. Did not work. I have tried everything OTC for internal hemorroids (which Dr says is minor and probably not causing itch) and also OTC vaginal creams. The last cream Dr. prescribed was a special mix called Capsaicin to use in anal area...burns so badly for about 5 minutes, just can't stand it. And, he wants me to use 3 times daily for one month!! Have used it for 10 days now and absolutely no change. Have also cut out of diet for couple of weeks citrus, caffeine. Did not work. Have changed soaps to sensitive skin, unscented, as well as wipes, and my softener for clothes. Nothing is working for vaginal or anal itch and extreme burn. Any more ideas???
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 3 years ago.
Do you have any skin change such as white spots, white patches?
What are the names of the OTC vaginal creams?
Do you have abnormal vaginal discharge? If so, what does it look like? Does it have odor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The only OTC I have used for vaginal area is AZO. Not working. But also have used Neosporin as at times I scratch til it is bleeding. No, I do not have a vaginal discharge. My Dr. simultaneously had me take the 1 pill (forget the name) just in case I had a vaginal infection. Did not work...and I did not think I had an infection anyway. Vagina is just extremely read and burns and itching like crazy.
Expert:  khagihara replied 3 years ago.
It could be yeast infection.
The rash may clear up quickly with OTC medication, but continue applying the medication twice a day for at least 10 days.

1. Allylamines. These drugs, such as terbinafine (Lamisil AT), require shorter treatment time than do azoles.

2. Azoles. These drugs, including miconazole and clotrimazole (Lotrimin AF), are less expensive than are allylamines.

If it doesn't work, you should see a dermatologist.

Any questions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are both of these meds you have mentioned OTC? I am assuming these are just for the vaginal itch. How about anal?

So far am not satisfied. Have learned nothing I have not tried. BTW...my anal itch and burn came long before the vaginal itch and burn. Have had no discharge from vagina...only appears as if it is a very bad sunburn that also itches badly. Creams only give a few minutes of relief.

Am signing off. Just taking too long. DO NOT charge credit card.
Expert:  Dr.JBB replied 3 years ago.

You may need a biopsy of the skin in those areas to have a definite diagnosis. This sound like a chronic dermatitis type of a problem and you will need a strong steroid cream to calm this down. Clobetasol is what I use most of the time but you will need a prescription for this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had at least 3 types of steroid cream prescribed by my GP as well as my Gastro Dr. None gave me any relief. I just sent a note to my Dr. earlier this morning to let him know that as of yesterday I added Vaginal Max Strength for vagina. Gives relief about 5 minutes. Before I accept your answer, I am going to get out of this site and lookup the names of the steroid creams I have had and get your thoughts.
Expert:  Dr.JBB replied 3 years ago.
I will be here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much for waiting. Unfortunately my records aren't as good as I thought...but did find name of one of the creams which was prescribed by my Gastro Dr. on March 4 and he reluctantly gave a second one on March 17. It was Hydrocortisone/Pramoxin Kit.

I think the other was Triamcinolone Acetonide 0.5% Cream, 15GM prescribed November of last year.

I just never saw any relief, except for a few minutes at a time with either one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I must get offline for couple of hours. Will get back to you to see what your comments are about the creams that I have been given in the past.

thanks you. Will decide at that time if I do accept your correspondence.
Expert:  Dr.JBB replied 3 years ago.
The first one is more for itching. The triamcinolone is a bit stronger steroid but not as strong as the clobetasol. If you have not had one, I recommend a punch biopsy of the area to see if this is infection of some kind,or a dermatitis. This will help in knowing the best way to treat it.
Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: 15 yrs experience in Women's Health, Pelvic reconstruction and Incontinence
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for these recommendations. I will take them to my Dr. and hope that I do get some relief soon.
Expert:  Dr.JBB replied 3 years ago.
good luck