khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Trained in OB & GYN for many years.

51 years old with late period and symptoms of pregnancy, including

51 years old with late period and symptoms of pregnancy, including enlarged breasts and mild cramping. negative epts, over a period of two weeks. can menopause mimic pregancy if this were the first period I were to miss??
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? If so, over what period of time?
Have you had a pelvic exam, PAP smear, and ultrasound lately?
Do you have hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, mood swings, loss of libido?
When were you expecting next period? When did you take the pregnancy test? Are you currently sexually active? If so, what contraceptive do you use?
Do you have problem adjusting to hot temperature? Tremor? Hair loss? Bowel problem? Sleep problem? Palpitations? Voice change? Nervousness?
Nipple discharge? Vision change? Headaches? Loss of libido?
Did you start strenuous exercise?
Do you have excessive stress at home or work?
Do you have any other symptoms associated with your problem?
Are you aware of anything which might have brought this on?
Do you have any medical problems?
Any surgeries?
Are you taking any medications including OTC pills and herbs?
Any family medical history?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am 5 feet 1 and approx 190 lbs. I've gained but over years. About 10 days late after being fitly regular. Have had other times I believed to be but not for this long. Other pregnancies (last 12 years ago) were positive ept tests on first try. Been going through some neurological issues for past year, tested for als, had surgery for radiculopathy last year. Recent emg testing still shows ongoing process. very stressed from all that because still tremors and stiffness in joints, sleep problems and with atrophy. Married and active but only once last month. Taking vitamin e and b6. Could menopause bring this on? but this suddenly? Otherwise fairly regarding. 5 ept tests over 2 weeks all negative
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. Pregnancy is unlikely. The average age of menopause is 52 in the US. However, your symptoms seem to be premenstrual symptoms. The missed period seems to be due to temporary imbalances of hormones from the stress or perimenopause. Your period would come later. If you don't have a pelvic exam and pap smear lately, you should see a doctor to rule out an ovarian cyst.
Any questions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
And so I should do nothing more? Is a blood test unnecessary? How long to wait and see?
Expert:  khagihara replied 5 years ago.
You don't dare to do anything now.You may wait for 20 days. If you don't still have a period within 20 days, you should see a doctor to have a pelvic exam and ultrasound if necessary.