Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

do white blood cells on a vaginal wet mount mean there is definitely

do white blood cells on a vaginal wet mount mean there is definitely an infection? also i started my period the next day so could this have made white blood cells show up?

white blood cell follow irritation and infection.

usually white blood cells on a wet mount suggest infection - and it could be yeast, BV or another. However, there might be white blood cells in response to irritation...that being from a new lubricant, soap or douche for example.

So, you cannot determine exactly why white blood cells are on the wet mount, but they are not always from an infection.

It could possibly be from your period if you had a response to a tampon or something of the sort.

I'm happy to answer follow up question as needed, but remember to click 'accept'.

thank you so much,

Dr. Pfeiffer

just so you don't get charged a bunch more times..

yes, the white blood cells can be there from BV.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok..i have sent this several times. just figuring this thing out. so, she diagnosed me with bv but scared the crap out of me with talk of chlamydia. is it likely that they were there because of the bv? also, upon looking at my cervix wouldn't she see an irritated cervix if chlamydia was present? this was last tuesday and the encounter i am concerned with was june 18. thank you so much

ok.

so you can't really look at the cervix and determine if there is chlamydial infection or not. She would have done a genprobe checking for chlamydia and gonorrhea.

If she saw WBCs and clue cells on the wet mount it is most likely BV.

Dr. Pfeiffer