Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

I have been bleeding for 18 days straight! Heavy bleeding!

I have been bleeding for 18 days straight! Heavy bleeding! I am 46 and must be starting menopause but how much blood can I lose before being worried? I am tired and getting worried! Can't go to doctor for another 4 days. Thanks S.B.
also passing clots! 
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 5 years ago.

I think this may be related to perimenopause.
Many times the cause is from...hormonal imbalance (from not ovulating),stress, thyroid problem, anxiety, illness, medicine, polyps, fibroids...etc. Sometimes there is no identifiable cause. Rarely, the bleeding is from hyperplasia or even cancer.
Because early uterine cancer can be cured with surgery, we ALWAYS recommend any abnormal bleeding in a woman over 35 years old be evaluated to exclude cancer. This is done by an ultrasound and sample of the uterine lining.

Additionally, you should have your thyroid checked.

So, really any time a woman bleeds 10 days or more she should be evaluated. If the bleeding isn't heavy you might be able to wait the extra 4 days. What you want to look for is your heart rate elevating to >100 when standing up, feeling light headed, dizzy or sick to your stomach should go to the ER.

If you know your doctor well enough, ask him/her to call in Provera 10mg to stop the bleeding.

I'm happy to answer follow up question as needed, but remember to click 'accept'.

thank you so much,

Dr. Pfeiffer