Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

I have itching inside of my vagina. No odor and no discharge,

I have itching inside of my vagina. No odor and no discharge, just itching. I do not think it is a yeast infection.

Dr. Kala :

Hi, Let me help you understand your current health care problem. I offer compassionate, considerate information. A few questions

Customer:

Do you know what it is?

Dr. Kala :

1. How long has this been going on? 2. Any new hygiene products? 3. Any recent use of perfumed products, condoms?

Customer:

a few months on and off. I went to the obgyn and they just look inside my vagina gave me some yeast infection cream and said they don't think it is a yeast infection but this should help.

Customer:

They said it look red and irritated inside. I also had a papsmear in October and it came back normal

Customer:

if I had an infection would a pap smear show it?

Dr. Kala :

It seems you mayhave an allergy to something. The itching is quite characteristic. Since it has been going on for a few months you should think about any product change made, laundry, soap, hygeine, etc. If you have beentreated for a yeast infection with at least a 3 or long day treatment then it is not a yeast infection. Paps do not show all infections.

Customer:

I use bubble bath but I stopped and I used to douch about every three weeks. I am married so we do not use condoms

Customer:

okay...I also did one of those Ph balance test and it had a 5.0 balance. Should I panic???

Dr. Kala :

No, no need to panic, but it may take a while to uncover the cause, determining an allergy takes time. start with using a mild soap, put all underwear through an extra rinse cycle. And drink plenty of water to help the natural cleansing of the vagina.

Customer:

They also asked me was a stressed when I went to the gyn clinic....would have anything to do with it?

Customer:

I am stressed now. I have an appointment next friday, but I think it is weird to have this irritation for so long.

Dr. Kala :

Stress could be a factor. It would be helpful for you to keep a journal. Log when you have the itching and any event associated, such as hygeine products, newly washed clothes, sex, stress. you may under cover what is causing it.

Customer:

Also one more question the test said that a ph balance of 5.0 could be an infection? Is this true.

Dr. Kala :

this is a grey zone, usual infection occur at 5.5 and higher. Since there is no discharge an infection is less likely.

Customer:

Thank you so much for your assistance. I hope I am okay. This is stressful and embrassing. You made me feel a little better. God bless!

Dr. Kala :

You are welcome.

Customer:

Good bye!

Dr. Kala :

take care, don't forget to push the accept button for the answers given and so I can get credit for my time.

Customer:

Most definitely.... :)