Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I am 53 and in menopause. My problem are tiny whitehead pimples

Customer Question

I am 53 and in menopause. My problem are tiny whitehead pimples on my face. They appear in groups on my chin and cheeks. They are not ichy but more like burning occasionaly. It started mildly on the chin some 2-3 years ago, then slowly spread to the cheeks but not to the forehead - yet. I have been to three different doctors. Two of them did not take the problem seriously, one said it is atopic excema and gave me Protopic ointment. When I use the ointment my skin gets better but it does not cure it. If I don't apply the ointment daily the pimples come back the next day. The doctor said I can use Protopic as long as I need it but when I read about Protopic in Internet they advice to avoid long time use. I am North-European living in Japan. I used to have a nice smooth skin, now it is rough. I have red cheeks all the time and I don't know what to do.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Do you use any other medications, creams, etc?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I used laFamme estrogen-gestagen-combination pills for my severe hot flashes but I stopped with them some time ago to see if that was the reason. But my skin did not get better. On the other hand, the skin problem started before I started the pills but got worse lately. It is difficult to see if there is a connection. I use normal skin creams, mostly Sisley.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Do these have white fluid filled sacs /pimples or clear fluid?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
White fluid, they look like tiny whitehead pimples.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
This is sort of related to acne related problems and if the HRT (Hormones) do not, then finding something to help with this dermatitis can be difficult - and Using Protopic is really not that bad if using in a small area and this is just an immuno-regulator and actually I find this safer than using a steroid cream.
Also, DIET can help too.
And, here are some suggestions:
1 - Avoid stress - Stress causes the over-production of hormones.
2- Use relaxation techniques, such as Yoga and deep breathing.
3- Avoid caffeine - Caffeine stimulates hormone production.
4- Exercise - Exercise rebalances hormones and reduces stress.
5- Eat hormone-regulating foods such as alfalfa, flax seed, oats, celery, parsley, rhubarb, fennel and evening primrose oil.
6- Avoid acid-forming foods like dairy products (milk, cheese, cream, yogurt etc), meats, refined and cooked carbohydrates (white flour, bread, rice, crisps and chips, sugar), cooked fats (fried food, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, roasted nuts).
7- Eat more alkaline-forming foods like fresh vegetables and fruit, nuts (but not peanuts as these contain alfatoxins) and seeds.
8- Eat organic produce where possible.
9- Drink still mineral water, preferably in glass bottles.
10 -Avoid foods stored in plastic packaging.

I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1. I am a house wife with absolutely no stress.

2. I do yoga almost daily.

3. I normally drink one cup of coffe daily but not every day.

4. I exercise daily.

5. ...

6. I don't eat red meat, only fish, and occasionally chicken. I also don't eat any fried food or snacks. I eat cheese and yogurt. If I don't eat any rice or dark bread, what should I eat?

7. I eat fruits with nuts and raisins and yogurt every morning, and vedgetables daily.

8. I buy most of our vedgetables in an organic store.

9. I drink load of still water every day.

Your diet suggestions are nothing new for me. I am not overweighted and I have a healthy lifestyle.

Is it possible to transfer my original question to a dermatologist?

Is it possible to transfer my question to a dermatologist?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
I'll try
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Requested that the moderator change to derm category
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Maybe better try to get an answer from a dermatologist...