Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

Why is my period blood bright red?

Customer Question

Is it normal to have bright red blood on your period? I have never noticed them to be this bright red before? I had went to a dr in April for a month long period that was not stopping, very heavy, was so heavy that when she went to do an exam, when she pushed the metal instrument into me that blood gushed out into the floor. And she prescribed Aygestin 5 mg once a day for 10 days. That did the trick and I had finally started my period 5 days ago again. She had did blood work and all came back good. Also did an ultrasound, a regular one and a transvagianl one. All came back good. Ovaries were perfect size and lining and all looked good, my mom just passed away in Jan 2010 of ovarion, so I was nervous. She said it was probally just stress that has been building up, I agreed. Had gone thru alot this last year with my moms death. I started my period again now, and it is very bright red blood, and generally thin, have had some dark clots, clots are always normal for me, though. But, the bleeding is not in excess like last time, just is very different in color, very very red and very thin, like not the typical thickness. Can this be normal? Thanks!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.

This is not unusual, and taking the pills will help, but I would also check a thyroid blood test called TSH, and also check for a Polyp.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she said she checked my thyroid when she did blood work, is there another one? and would the ultrasound of showed a polyp? because they said my ultrasound looked good.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.

If the thyroid is normal then this is okay. An ultrasound does not necessarily show a polyp - but if the inside of the uterus is not 'thick' then very unlikely to be a polyp.
So, this sounds good.

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does an ultrasound show if the inside of my uterus is thick? I was told I have an enlarged uterus, for how long, we don't know because I had not been to a gyno since my daughter was born, she is over 3 but the dr said that's why she sent me for a ultrasound, but that there was no concern about the enlarged uterus, showed no fibroids, so this can be normal change, even though this is unlike a norm for me? i WAS ONLY ON THE AYGESTIN FOR 10 DAYS AND it worked great and have been fine, dr had said that we could always talk about birth control to regulate.

Could this be fine to bleed bright red, very thin blood every month if i decide not to do birth control? I welcome medicine, I also like to be as natural as possible :)

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.

IF the ultrasound is less then 1cm - then most likely normal.
If you have an enlarged uterus you might have fibroids or adenomyosis.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can this be okay to bleed very bright red thin blood every month? can this be normal even though it has never been this bright and thin before?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.

YES, this can be normal - just because it is different for you this time, it does not mean is is bad. And, if you look at my previous answers I have given you all the reasons for something that can possibly cause a change too if there happens to be a change.

I would be happy to explain in detail how you go about checking for any specific abnormality.

To check for a Polyp you either do a Hysteroscopy - a camera in the uterus, or a SIS - Saline Infusion Sonohysterography - essentially an ultrasound with a ballon in the uterus (on a catheter) - if there is a polyp then the polyp should be removed and usually done via a D&C or resectoscope when doing a hysteroscope.

And, then other reasons for bright bleeding do include changes to your hormones - but this is not necessarily bad - this is quite normal infact.
And, sometimes we do see infections with 'lesions' to the vagina and cervix that can cause.

And, doing a D&C can also check your uterine lining for any abnormalities such as hyperplasia.

Thank you for your questions.