khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Trained in OB & GYN for many years.
20084961

I have pimple/boil like sores on on pubic area. They are miserably

I have pimple/boil like sores on on pubic area. They are miserably sore It started with one now I have 5. I can hardly walk. Don't know what they are, or what to put on them. They get really large and then pop. I am 68, my husband is 85 and we have had no sexual contact for the past 12 years. I have been going through (6months) an allergic problem which is inside as well as outside. I have stopped most all the medicines Doctors have given me, as each one makes it worse. Please help. I am very misserable. Marge
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 3 years ago.
You could have hidradenitis suppurativa.

Hidradenitis suppurativa (hi-drad-uh-NI-tis sup-u-ra-TI-va) is a chronic skin inflammation marked by the presence of blackheads and one or more red, tender bumps (lesions). The lesions often enlarge, break open and drain pus. Scarring may result after several recurrences.

Considered a severe form of acne (acne inversa), hidradenitis suppurativa occurs deep in the skin around oil (sebaceous) glands and hair follicles. The parts of the body affected — the groin and armpits, for example — are also the main locations of apocrine sweat glands.

Hidradenitis suppurativa commonly occurs around hair follicles where many oil and sweat glands are found, such as the armpits, groin and anal area. It may also occur in areas where skin rubs together, such as the inner thighs, under the breasts or between the buttocks. Hidradenitis suppurativa can affect a single area or multiple areas of the body.

Signs and symptoms of hidradenitis suppurativa include:

Blackheads. Small pitted areas of skin containing blackheads, often appearing in pairs or a "double-barreled" pattern.
Red, tender bumps. These bumps, or lesions, often enlarge, break open and drain pus. The drainage may have an unpleasant odor. Itching, burning and excessive sweating may accompany the bumps.
Painful, pea-sized lumps. These hard lumps, which develop under the skin, may persist for years, enlarge and become inflamed.
Leaking bumps or sores. These open wounds heal very slowly, if at all, often leading to scarring and the development of tunnels under the skin.

Hidradenitis suppurativa develops when the oil (sebaceous) glands and hair follicle openings become blocked with fluid, dead skin cells and other matter released from surrounding apocrine sweat glands. When these substances mix with the oil from the sebaceous glands, they can become trapped and push into surrounding tissue. Bacteria can then trigger infection and inflammation.

It's not known why this blockage occurs, but a number of factors — including hormones, genetics, cigarette smoking and excess weight — may all play a role.

Sometimes hidradenitis suppurativa occurs with other diseases, such as Crohn's disease or Graves' disease.

To make a diagnosis, your doctor may ask about your symptoms and medical history, examine your skin, and order blood tests. If pus or drainage is present, your doctor may send a sample of the fluid to a laboratory for testing. This test is known as a culture. Such tests may be necessary to rule out other skin conditions, such as tuberculosis of the skin.

There is no cure for hidradenitis suppurativa. But early treatment can help manage the symptoms and prevent new lesions from developing.

Treatments depend on the extent of the affected areas and whether the sores are painful or infected. Mild cases can be treated with self-care measures, including warm compresses and regular washings with antibacterial soap. Moderate cases may require medications, such as those you rub on the affected areas (topical medications) or those you take by mouth (oral medications). Possible medications include:

Antibiotics. Antibiotics taken for a long time early in the disease help fight infection and may prevent future outbreaks or prevent the disease from worsening.
Oral retinoid medications. Taken to stop oil gland functions, these medications can help prevent the plugging of the hair follicles.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. These can help alleviate pain and swelling.
Corticosteroids or immunosuppressant drugs. These may help reduce inflammation, especially in the early stages of hidradenitis suppurativa.
Tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha inhibitors. These medications show promise in the treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa. They can be used only in the short term, however, due to the risks involved with longer use.
For severe or persistent cases or for deep lesions, surgery may be necessary.

Incision and drainage. Surgical drainage or removal of the lesions may be an option when the disease involves a single small area. However, this treatment won't prevent the disease from returning and is generally used for short-term relief.
Uncovering the tunnels or tracts. Cutting away skin and flesh that cover any tunnels or tracts can increase healing of the lesions and minimize scarring. This doesn't prevent the disease from returning in the treated area or another area of the body, however.
Surgical removal. Surgical treatment of recurrent or severe symptoms involves removal of all involved skin followed by direct closure with skin flaps or with skin grafting (removing skin from one area of your body and attaching it to another). Full surgical removal of the affected areas can treat the disease that is present but doesn't prevent the disease from occurring in other areas.
Obesity, incomplete removal and ongoing skin infections can increase the chances that hidradenitis suppurativa returns, even after surgical treatment.
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Trained in OB & GYN for many years.