Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I have menstrual bleeding after 14 days from my last period.

I have menstrual bleeding after 14 days from my last period. It last already 6th day. When I called the doctor office they told me to come for a pregnancy test. I had the last intercors on april 24th, then the normal period on april 29th and the second period on may 13th. What is the chance that I'm realy pregnant and what other reason for the bleeding could be. I do not use any birth control pills.

Thanks!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Did the period on April 29 seem like a normal one? How regular are your periods? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was as regular as always. Lasted 5 days and ahd crams and sensitive breasts. My period varies from 26 to 29 days. Usualy 28. 2 month ago I had one after 23 days. The period of may 13 seemed like normal as well. Although it's the 6th day already. But the bleeding is reducing like always.
The first sign of pregnancy is usually a missed period, not extra bleeding, so I doubt that you're pregnant. You could do a pregnancy test to know (first morning urine). I think it's much more likely that you haven't ovulated lately. You used to have regular periods, but now you've had bleeding in 23 days 2 months ago, and now April 29 and May 13. Ovulation is what causes a normal period to come 14 days later, in which the uterine lining cleans itself off. If ovulation doesn't occur, you can still have bleeding, but the lining doesn't clean off, and then you can bleed again 2-3 weeks later. This sounds like what you're having. Not ovulating is common, often due to stress but also from other things. It usually takes care of itself with time. Your doctor can figure out whether you're ovulating or not. If you'd like to become pregnant and no specific reason is found for not ovulating, there are pills called clomid you can take each month to induce ovulation. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you! I though it could be because of the stress. I have lots of going on at work now.

I could sleep now!

Thank you again!