Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I have brown cum that comes out when I have intercourse; what

I have brown cum that comes out when I have intercourse; what does that mean? I do take birth control and I have lite bleeding everyday also with more of the brown cum.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Customer:

hi

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Brown discharge is actually old blood instead of fresh blood. It is very common with birth control. However, it is a sign that you may need a higher strength of birth control to better control your bleeding.

Customer:

okay thank you

Customer:

I am taking the pill

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I would also recommend you be tested for sexually transmitted infections, like gonorrhea and chlamydia, if you have not been tested recently. Either of these infections can also cause inflammation inside your womb which can also cause abnormal bleeding.

Customer:

i took those test and they came back negative

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Great. Then you may only need a higher dose birth control pill.

Customer:

what birth control would you suggest if I need a better control over the bleeding?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

What are you on currently?

Customer:

levora .15/30 pills

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yasmin may work better for you. It isn't a higher dose estrogen, your estrogen level is fine. However, the progesterone component may be what is causing your bleeding. Yasmin has the same amount of estrogen, but a different progesterone which is great at controlling cycles. You should be sure to ask for the brand name and not the generic. You can also go to www.yasmin.com to get a coupon to decrease the costs.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :
I wish you the best. If you have additional questions, please ask. If none, please click "Accept." Thank you.
Customer:

thank you and i do have one last question: so the lite bleeding everyday is normal since I don't have a high enough doseage?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

The dosage is ok. You just need to take a new pill. As long as you have been taking your pills regularly, you just need a new pill. If you have missed pills, this can cause irregular bleeding and as long as you are not pregnant, you can continue your current pills and the bleeding will eventually resolve.

Customer:

okay thank you so much

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

no you answered all of them thank you again