Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I am experiencing a post menopausal discharge. It is brown

I am experiencing a post menopausal discharge. It is brown in color, not foul smelling but with also clear slightly gelatinous fluid, too. What should I do?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 years ago.
A brown discharge means there is some bleeding, since blood turns brown in the vagina. It's important to have your discharge evaluated by your doctor, since it could be a sign of cancer. It may also be just from atrophic (thin and fragile) uterine or vaginal lining. Your doctor do an exam, check the discharge, possibly do an ultrasound to look for the uterine lining thickness. If the lining is not thin, you may need a D&C to rule out cancer. There could be a polyp or benign buildup of the uterine lining, which would be cured by the D&C. In case it's cancer, it's the kind that we can often cure by hysterectomy. Best wishes.