Ask Mary Claire Haver, M. D. Your Own Que...

Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience:  U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years
18724279

why would I have 3 periods in one month

Customer Question

why would I have 3 periods in one month
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  khagihara replied 3 years ago.
Tell me more about your periods.
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? If so, over what period of time?
Have you had a pelvic exam, PAP smear, and ultrasound lately?
Do you have problem adjusting to cold or hot temperature? Do you feel you are always tired? Dry skin? Fragile nails? Tremor? Loss of outer eyebrows? Hair loss? Bowel problem? Sleep problem? Palpitations? Voice change? Nervousness?
Do you have excessive facial or body hair? Do you have thinning hair on the skull? Do you have acne increased? Do you have irregular periods?
Do you feel you are always thirsty and drink a lot of liquid? Do you go to the bathroom frequently? Is your appetite increased? Do you crave sweets?
Are you currently sexually active? If so, what contraceptive do you use?
Abnormal vaginal discharge?
Do you have hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness, mood swings, loss of libido?
Do you have any other symptoms associated with your problem?
Are you aware of anything which might have brought this on?
Do you have any medical problems?
Any surgeries?
Are you taking any medications including OTC pills and herbs?
Any family medical history?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am 4'11'' I weigh 158 and since christmas have went down from 185 to 158 no diet just not eating anymore junk food or fast foods. Last pap test was in 2007. I do not sleep well. my periods are usually normal. Ya I am always thirsty and drink a ton of water. Ya im sexually active last time was in march. I do have epilepsy, take lamictal and dialantin infitabs, 1mg. folic acid and a multi vitamin.
Expert:  khagihara replied 3 years ago.
When did you start dialantin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I started it regular dilantin 15yrs ago and the infatabs 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I started it regular dilantin 15yrs ago and the infatabs 6 months ago. my neurolgoist is trying to ween me off of it so I take 25mg. less each month I now take 100mg. a day
Expert:  khagihara replied 3 years ago.
There are some possibilities.

1. fibroids
2. ovarian cysts
3. endometrial polyps
4. endometrial hyperplasia (overgrowth of the lining of the uterus; usually benign; less likely in your age)
5. dysfunctional uterine bleeding (temporary imbalances of hormones)
6. ovarian tumor producing estrogen
7. endometrial tumor (less likely in your age)
8. bleeding disorder such as von Willebrand disease

You should see a gyn to have a pelvic exam, a blood test (CBC, PT/PTT, LH. FSH, fasting blood sugar, testosterone) and a ultrasound.

Any questions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You did not narrow anything down. I am not happy with your answer I coulda found out the possibilities for free on the internet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. It is an honor to be of some assistance to you.

Sorry you were not happy with the other expert. I will try to be of service to you.

A couple of questions first?

1. How long has this been happening to you (the three periods in one month). Did it just happen in the last month, or is this a pattern. I know you said your periods were usually normal, but when was that?

2. Have you taken a pregnancy test since March?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I haven't taken a pregnancy test. It has been just this month. Last normal period was March.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I went to the er and they said dont feel like fibroids. They also put me on a birth control to lessen or stop the bleeding. But I questioned this because my dialatin can make it a lot less effective. But the er doctor told me to go see a reg dr during the week. I took a home pregnancy test and it was negative.
You are correct in that your medications can make birth control pills less effective - for birth control, but can still be helpful with bleeding.

First of all, since this is the first time this has happened to you - rest assured. Most women go through occasional cycle irregularity - it could be due to hormonal fluctuations due to changes in stress, diet, exercise, illness, etc.. As long as your bleeding is moderate - we do not become very concerned until a pattern of irregular bleeding occurs over at least 2 - 3 months.

Then - we would be begin exhaustive testing for some of the problems listed in the answer from the other expert. I usually start with a pelvic exam (like you had in the ER), then a pelvic ultrasound to look for other lesions that can't be felt on exam and some simple blood work.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience: U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had 2 periods a month a few yrs back. But not since 2006. But I will be calling to see a dr tomorrow monday morn. I will try to get in a.s.a.p. and you answered it much better to me thanks.
You are most welcome. Best of luck to you.