khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Trained in OB & GYN for many years.

Im having some vaginal bleeding. Im 55 years old and post-menapausal.

I'm having some vaginal bleeding. I'm 55 years old and post-menapausal. Is this normal or should I be concerned?
How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? If so, over what period of time?
Have you had a pelvic exam, PAP smear, and ultrasound lately?
Do you have problem adjusting to cold or hot temperature? Do you feel you are always tired? Dry skin? Fragile nails? Tremor? Loss of outer eyebrows? Hair loss? Bowel problem? Sleep problem? Palpitations? Voice change? Nervousness?
Abnormal vaginal discharge?
Do you have any other symptoms associated with your problem?
Are you aware of anything which might have brought this on?
Do you have any medical problems?
Any surgeries?
Are you taking any medications including OTC pills and herbs?
Any family medical history?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Weight: 124, Height: 5ft 2in. No recent weigh change.

I had a pap smear in September 2010. Normal. I did have an abnormal pap in May 2009. A biopsy was done. Benign. I do have the paplona virus.

I have noticed fragile nails and dry skin. But I'm currently working in Alaska., (less than 10% humidity). I attributed the dry skin to that. As to the other symptoms, not really.

I have been experiencing some abdominal cramps, much like I associate with a period. The spotting is dark and similar to a menstrual flow.

I had a D&C after the birth of my son, but that was 29 years ago.

I do take multi vitamins, plus additional calcium and Vitamin C. I've been taking these for a number of years.

My mother died of a heart attack at the age of 66. She was diabetic, requiring insulin injections and had rheumatoid arthritis.

It is not normal women who are postmenopausal have bleeding.
There are some possibilities.
1. cervical polyps
2. vaginal or cervical infection
3. cervical dysplasia (precancer, not cancer)
4. cervical tumor
5. endomtrial hyperplasia (overgrowth of the lining of the uterus, usually benign)
6. endometrial polyps
7. endometrial tumor
8. ovarian tumor producing estrogen

You should see a gyn to have a pelvic exam, a pap smear, a ultrasound, and an endometrial biopsy if necessary.

Any questions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
As I mentioned earlier, I am currently working in Alaska and won't return home for several more weeks. Is this something that requires immediate attention or can I wait till I return home?
One more possibility is due to vaginal dryness.
Usually it takes time (several weeks) to see a gyn. You should call a gyn to make an appointment.
If the bleeding doesn't stop and is getting worse, you should go to ER.