Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I have severe muscle spasm in my vagina,it is all day and every

I have severe muscle spasm in my vagina,it is all day and every day.I have a severe scoliosis with a 90d angle and most of my problems come from this. I have heard of botox being used for vaginal pain but cannot find out about treatment and costs. At the age of 64 I am becoming desperate,many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Hello Jacky Tappenden,
A constant muscle spasm of the vagina is rare, so most OB/GYN's have no experience with it. Botox works well for muscle spasm, so it will probably help. It requires re treatment every 3-4 months or so. Most botox is used for cosmetic surgery, so plastic and cosmetic surgeons have the most experience using it. However, most of them have no experience using it vaginally, so I would recommend seeing a good OB/GYN who would be willing to try botox. I believe that charges for botox are around 175-300 pounds per treatment. If you haven't done so, I would recommend trying muscle relaxants first. In case they work for your vaginal spasm, it will be much easier and cheaper than botox. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I currently take Arthrotec 50, Amitriptyline 25g, Pregabalin 75g all at twice a day and none of them help. I am in so much pain I feel my life is not worth living and feel suicadal as I am not coping with the pain,it has been going on for four years.
None of your medications is a muscle relaxant, which is usually used for back pain associated with muscle spasm. Some muscle relaxants are Soma, Valium, and Flexeril. I would discuss trying them with your doctor. If that's not helpful, I would consider botox. If that's not possible, a referral to a pain clinic may be helpful. They help people cope with pain when it's not possible to relieve it.