Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.

I am having extreme abdominal pain that started out of nowhere.

Customer Question

I am having extreme abdominal pain that started "out of nowhere." I am at the very end of my ovulation cycle, but I have never felt this kind of pain in my life. The pain is so bad that it caused me to vomit. I have normal, regular periods with moderate cramping. I've had three c-sections, and even the recoveries through those has not hurt as badly as these cramps. Any ideas of what could be causing this?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 3 years ago.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You may have an ovarian cyst that has ruptured since your post mid cycle.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Often the pain from a ruptured ovarian cyst is so severe, women go to the hospital.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

I actually thought that could be it.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

As long as you do not develop fever, diarrhea, worsening pain, fatigue, lightheadedness, or palpitations in your chest, you are ok to rest and stay at home. If any of those symptoms develop, you should go to the ER.

Customer:

Is there anything that could've caused the rupture?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

No not at all.

Customer:

Understood.

Customer:

What sort of timeline am I looking at regarding the aforementioned symptoms you outlined?

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

However, you could also have other issues like uterine fibroids, they can also cause cramping pain. If you're feeling pressure in your pelvis/on your bladder or have pain with intercourse this is a possible cause.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You're welcome. Those symptoms of appendicitis or excessive bleeding from a ruptured cyst (rare) would develop within 24-48 hours.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

It may take up to a week to resolve. And frequently you'll start your period as you begin to feel better.

Customer:

If I end up going to the ER, should I request an abdominal ultrasound or a vaginal ultrasound?

Customer:

...or if I can get in to see my OB/GYN, should I request either?

Customer:

When I was pregnant with my third child (two years ago), my OB was watching a couple of cysts that they discovered during a routine pre-natal ultrasound.

Customer:

(BTW, the pain is beginning to subside as we chat)

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If you go to the ER, they will likely obtain a CT scan to look for appendicitis and this can help identify a cyst as well. If you see your OB/GYN, he/she may order a transvaginal ultrasound because this is the best way to look at the female anatomy.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Great. If so, this may have been bowel cramping which may result in diarrhea later.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

This could be from a virus or something you ate.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If you get diarrhea, but otherwise feel fine, you don't have to go to the ER. However, if the pain returns and you have fever/diarrhea, you should go to the ER.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

However, appendicitis is more common in the teens/twenties.

Customer:

Yeah... I'm waaaaay past teens/twenties! ;o)

Customer:

Ok... I guess I'll just wait it out and see what happens next. Thank you for your time and information.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You're welcome.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I wish you the best. If you have additional questions, please ask. If none, please click "Accept." Thank you.

Customer:

Thank you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You're very welcome. Take care.

Customer:

You, too, Dr. Hearne.

Experience: With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.