Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I have vaginal burning on the outside of my vagina. It does

I have vaginal burning on the outside of my vagina. It does not hurt all the way inside, but just on the inside of the opening. I have absolutely NO abnormal discharge (it's not clumpy nor yellow or green or any weird color) it's pretty runny and it's a cloudy white color. There isn't an unusual smell or anything along those lines. What could be the cause?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 6 years ago.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Hello, I would be happy to assist you.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

You can still have a yeast infection even though you do not have any internal symptoms. Certainly, the burning on the outside is most likely due to yeast as long as you don't have any lesions/bumps. I recommend you purchase a anti yeast "combination pack" like Monistat or Gyne-Lotrimin. The "combination packs" will have the vaginal insertion tubes as well as a separate tube of cream to apply to external areas where you have symptoms twice per day for 7 days.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If you develop lesions/bumps, your symptoms can be due to herpes and you will need to see a doctor for prescription medication.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

I wish you the best. If you have additional questions, please ask. If none, please click "Accept." Thank you.

Customer: There are no bumps or anything like that. So it's pretty much just a yeast infection?
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Yes, most likely.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

make sure you get the "combination pack" and use the cream twice per day for 7 days externally. The vaginal insert you can use for 3 days if you get the 3 day kit

Customer: When should I see a doctor? Or do I need to see a doctor for an exam?
Monika Hearne, M.D. :

If you have been sexually active without condoms, you should see a doctor.

Monika Hearne, M.D. :

Otherwise, you can treat on your own and see your doctor if your symptoms persist.

Customer: Okay thank you for your help!