khagihara
khagihara, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Trained in OB & GYN for many years.
20084961

The opening to my vagina is very sensitive and somewhat painful

The opening to my vagina is very sensitive and somewhat painful for me to touch,I am sexually active in a relationship. After intercourse about 6 days ago I had pains the next day at first it seemed like lesions on the lining edges ofmy labia, but nothing just kind of stings when I touch certain areas as well as the entrance of my vagina. Example..if I were to try to put a tampon in, before I could even penetrate the vagina the tissue seems to sting quite badly.please help.
When I urinate there is a bit of stinging on the areas in general, but I doubt there are lesions because I have heard that the vagina is quick to heal and it has been six painful days.p
Are there any skin changes such as blisters, redness, swelling? Do you have abnormal vaginal discharge? Fi so, what does it look like? Does it have odor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No abnormal discharge or odor. No skin changes but when I put any type of pressure on the tissue to the upper opening of my vagina (near the pelvic bone it hurts in that one area I would think it was a punched nerve but the skin on top it sensitive)
You seems to have vulvodynia. Vulvodynia is pain in the vulva that can't be explained by another health problem, such as an infection or a skin problem. The vulva is the area around the opening of your vagina.
Doctors don't know the exact cause of vulvodynia. But some things that may help cause it include:

Swelling of or injury to the nerves of the vulva.
Spasms or weakness of the muscles that support the organs of the pelvis .
A family history of vulvodynia.

Your doctor will first ask you about your past health, your sexual history, and your symptoms. Then he or she will do a pelvic exam to rule out other possible causes for your pain, such as an infection or a skin problem.

During the exam, your doctor may use a cotton swab to touch different areas on and around your vulva to see where the pain is and how bad it is. If he or she sees a problem or any skin changes, you may need a biopsy. This means that your doctor will remove a small piece of tissue from your vulva and send it to a lab to be studied for the cause of your pain. Your doctor may also recommend an exam called a colposcopy to take a closer look at the cells on your vulva.

There are many treatments for vulvodynia, but what works for someone else may not help you. Work with your doctor to find what is best for you. Even though there is no cure, treatment can help you feel better and lead a full and active life.

Treatment may include:

Medicines, such as antidepressants, seizure medicines, nerve blocks, and medicated creams. These can help make the tissues of the vulva less sensitive. Antihistamines can help relieve itching.
Biofeedback . It can help you learn how to control and relax your pelvic muscles. Tightness or spasms in these muscles can make vulvar pain worse.
Physical therapy . It can provide specific exercises that can help you strengthen your pelvic muscles.
Estrogen creams that you put on your skin. These can help relieve pain.
Surgery. In rare cases, this is done to remove tissue that is very sensitive.

There are other things you can try to relieve your symptoms:

Always clean your vulva gently.
Avoid soaps and other products, such as vaginal sprays or douches that irritate your skin.
Wear loose-fitting cotton clothes. Avoid nylon and other fabrics that hold moisture close to the skin. This may cause irritation and allow an infection to start.
Avoid hot baths, and don't use soaps or bath products to wash your vulva. Rinse with water only, and gently pat the area dry.
Relieve itching and pain with a cold water compress or cool baths. Don't scratch the area.
Try using a vaginal lubricant, such as Astroglide or K-Y Jelly, to reduce irritation from having sex.
Stay active. But limit exercises that can irritate the vulva, such as bike riding or horseback riding.

Any questions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That sounds about right,thank you. In some cases does the pain go away by its self?
Yes, it does. Your pain started recently. The possibility is high.
Please press the accept button if you are satisfied with my answer.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Very much so thank you so much!
You are welcome.