Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

How long does it take for the egg to be fertilized after ovulation

How long does it take for the egg to be fertilized after ovulation if sperm is waiting in the fallopian tube?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
The sperm should be waiting in the fallopian tube when you ovulate.
So, you should start to have daily intercourse about 3 days PRIOR to your ovulation date - which is 14 days PRIOR to your next period.
I hope this helps, if you have more questions, please ask.
Plesae click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If sperm is in fact waiting, how long after ovulation will the egg meet the sperm and be fertilized? A matter of minutes? Hours? A day?

Also, if I had an LH surge on day 13, is it reasonably safe to say that I ovulated day 14? If sperm from having sex on day 13 were in the tube already, would I conceive that very same day or the next day (day 15). Basically the same question as above.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
Within Minutes.
but you want the sperm already waiting....
Basically it is better to look at when you will have your next period, and subtract 14 days, and then start having sex 14 to 18 days PRIOR to your next period - that way you will catch ovulation and you will have sperm already there when you ovulate.
It is impossible to say WHICH sperm from WHICH day would acutally impregnate the ovum.
I hope this helps, if you have more questions, please ask
Please click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I go online and put in my last period date (2/27) I get Dec 4th due date. It's based on a day 14 ovulation. Great, I ovulated day 14 (used kit) and had sex day 13 so should have conceived there and then as sperm was obviously waiting.

What confuses is me is when I do a due date calculator based on ovulation date and i put in March 12th (day 14) it comes up with Dec 3rd. Why not the 4th like the last period calculator if both are using day 14? I have tried several and they all do that. I assume the last period one is saying I conceived day 15?

I know due dates are not exact, but I like to know exact as possible how far along I am, i.e 5 weeks 1 day vs 2 days. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 3 years ago.
the best I can tell you is that the calculators can be off by one or two days - depending on the mathematical formula that is used.
But, from my calculator - I have you at 5 +1 weeks today and due date of Dec 4th.
I hope this help.
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)