Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I have had period-like bleeding 19 days after my last periods.

Customer Question

me and my husband had unprotected sex sometime like 14 days before the bleeding(6 days after the periods got over).
The bleeding was slightly different as in the color was lighter and the pattern was not usual (no continuous bleeding, quantity of blood loss was much less than periods ) but it lasted for 4-5 days.
About other symptoms of pregnancy , i feel fatigue and breast tenderness at times.
I am confused, as to whether the bleeding was my menstrual periods, so I should consider that I missed my period due for this month and take further steps. Please advise, quick response would be much appreciated.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
What is your pregnancy test result today?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi doctor, i haven't re-taken the test yet , my normal periods are due in coming 1-2 days (if the bleeding was non-menstrual), what do you advise, should I take a test or still wait - should it be taken at specific time of the day ?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
The symptoms you are having can be pregnancy symptoms only if you have a positive pregnancy test, otherwise these symptoms could be hormonal, this could be an ovarian cyst, this could be a thyroid condition, so unless you hdo this pregnancy test, it is very difficult to say exactly what your symptoms are about.
And, if you are trying to get pregnant, you should be on prenatal vitamins too.
I hope this helps, if you have more questions, please ask.
Plesae click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks doctor. I want to understand when can i take the preg test ,my last periods ended on march 1st march.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
The earliest a pregnancy test would be positive would be 3 to 4 days prior to an expected period, and the latest it would be positive would be about 7 days after a missed period...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just re-took the test , and result is negative. My menstrual cycle is not regular , and ranges from 28-33 days. As per avg, my periods were due either today or coming 1-2 days. So , the test result being negative confirms that i am not pregnant ?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Yes, most likely you are not pregnant based on this test, but repeat the test in about 5 to 7 days if your period does not come and if still negative then, you are not pregnant.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks a lot doc , I would repeat the test after a week. Last ques - so the irregular bleeding that happened , can it be early periods due to plan-B , or other issues as you mentioned in your first response.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
If could be due to plan B, since plan B can change your cycle around a bit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your guidance.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome.