Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor
8534737

Is it normal to bleed for over 3 months after the depo injection

Customer Question

Is it normal to bleed for over 3 months after the depo injection? I had my last injection august 2010 and i had my first bleed january 2011, i have not stopped bleeding since then & i have really bad cramps too.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 5 years ago.

how many injections did you have?

just the one in August?

Did you bleed at all on the depo?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i had a total of 3 injections all together and i had no bleeding whilst on the depo

Ok.

So the most likely cause is the lagging effects of the depo. What happens is the depo can prevent normal ovulation for up to 18 months. During this time frame your body still produces estrogen and the lining of the uterus gets thick, unstable and causes prolonged and abnormal bleeding.

So, while this isn't normal, meaning it doesn't' happen to everyone, it is something that happens to some women.

I'd recommend you have your thyroid checked and then a birth control pill for just a few months to get everything under control and by that time your periods should return to normal.

I'm happy to answer follow up questions as needed, but remember to click 'accept'.

thank you so much.

Dr. Pfeiffer

If there is nothing else I can answer or clarify for you please remember to click ‘accept’ as we are not compensated otherwise.

Thank you,

Dr. Pfeiffer