Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I am a 57 yr. old woman and am experiencing breast pain and

Customer Question

I am a 57 yr. old woman and am experiencing breast pain and tenderness. Also my nipples have become quite light in color almost the same color as my breast. I get sharpe little stab like pains especially on my right side. I have not seen a gyn in many years and no mammagrams as long. I am heavy breasted and know I have a history of fibrous tissues.

I drink espresso coffee too probably more than i should. Other than the obvious so see your doctor, which I am planning to do, can you advise at to what may be going on. I am leaving 2mro for a 2wks trip and would like a little peace of mind

thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 years ago.
Do you take any hormones or medications? Have you gained weight? Do you have much stress? Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not take hormones. I take prevacid for acid reflux. Yes I have gained weight and I am overweight.

By nature Dr. I am a worry wart....

Breast pain is usually not a sign of breast cancer. I suspect that your breast pain is mostly the result of your weight gain, since estrogen is converted in fat cells, so that you have a higher estrogen level than if you were more normal weight. Other things that contribute to breast pain are caffeine and stress, so whatever you can do to decrease both will help your breast pain. I think the change in your nipple color is related to age and has no other significance. It's good that you're planning to see your doctor, as mammograms are extremely important to detect breast cancer early. Have a nice vacation!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Dr.I do appreciate this as I can now enjoy my time with my hubby not fretting.

Have a great weekend and bless you!

Thank you Maria. Bless you also!