Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator
28424515

I am a 50 year old woman and have a vaginal discharge that

I am a 50 year old woman and have a vaginal discharge that can range from clear to yellow to brown. I was wondering could this be a hormonal imbalance? I still have a regular period. The first 2 days are light and the 3rd day is heavy. In May 2010, I had the procedure uterine embolization (sorry for the spelling) and it has helped my heavy bleeding. But I was having this discharge way before I had the procedure. Really no pain except when I pass a fibroid. Also, if it's a natural thing when does it end?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 3 years ago.

Hello! My name isXXXXX and I will be happy to assist you today.

Any odor to the discharge? and vaginal itching?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a mild odor that is sometimes smells mixed with urine. No vaginal itching, but sometimes on my labia.
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 3 years ago.

If there is only a mild odor, it is most likely a physiologic discharge (ie normal). Discharge is definitely heavily effected by changes in hormone levels... but some women at baseline do have higher amount of discharge to the point that it is uncomfortable. The uterine embolization procedure likely did not cause this either. While you can have your hormones checked, it is more than likely going to come back normal if you are still having regular periods. The good news is when you approach menopause (in the next few years) it will likely decrease and eventually stop.

Now, there is a slight chance it is caused by an infection like bacterial vaginosis. If you want to investigate this possibility, you can have your doctor perform a vaginal screen looking for various infection possibilities.

Please remember to click ACCEPT for my answer. Thank you!

~ Dr. AJ

Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Accomplished Physician and Educator