Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Can I get pregnant after a thermal ablation If so what are

Customer Question

Can I get pregnant after a thermal ablation? If so what are the chances of that happening? I am 47 years old
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 years ago.
It's possible to get pregnant after a thermal ablation, but it's very bad to do so. The uterine lining has been mostly destroyed, so there is not a good surface for an egg to implant. Because of the decreased uterine lining, pregnancy is unlikely, but there is always a chance. In case pregnancy occurs, the placenta will tend to grow into the uterine wall, meaning that it can't separate at delivery. That means that attempts to separate the placenta result in hemorrhage, which can be life threatening. This is the reason that we always recommend good birth control for any woman having endometrial ablation. Since you're 47 years old, pregnancy is highly unlikely, since fertility decreases with age. It would be good to use some method of birth control (foam?) until you have gone through menopause. If you have no periods, a blood test will show when you're postmenopausal. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you! I feel much better now!
You're very welcome.