Ask Mary Claire Haver, M. D. Your Own Que...
Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience:  U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years
18724279

I have been having a brownish gray discharge with no smell

I have been having a brownish gray discharge with no smell for several months, occassional mild cramping in the bladder area, alot of itching and spotting after orgasm. I had a hystorectomy in 2002. Sex is painful as the area is very sensitive. Some of these symtoms have been going on for a couple of years. My pap smears have been good. I have not had one this year yet. What should I tell my doctor to find a solution to this.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. It is an honor to be of some assistance to you.

You most likely are suffering from a condition called atrophic vaginitis. This condition is quite common in menopause and is due to dramatically lower estrogen levels than you had pre menopause. The lower estrogen levels lead to a thinning of the tissues of the vagina and vulva which leads to easy trauma, bleeding, and infection. You definitely need an exam to confirm this diagnosis and the doctor will also take a sample of the discharge and review it under a microscope to look for infection. The treatment is usually vaginal estrogen in small amounts which allows the tissue to thicken to its normal premenopausal state.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions in the future or to request me. Remember, this communication does not replace a visit to the doctor.

Good Luck and Well Wishes,

Dr. Haver