Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I am 59 years old and still have periods, having said that

I am 59 years old and still have periods, having said that my last normal period was24th Dec 2010 and I had a 'show'3rd Feb 2011 which I thought would develop into a period but did not. I seem to be laying down a layer of abdominal fat rather quickly which may be due to a lack of exercise. My sleeping is very poor most nights. Do you think I require invstigation. My paternal aunt died of ovarian cancer aged 51. My sister died of breast cancer aged 51.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Still having a period is unusual, and now you are having a bit of unusual symptoms, YES, I would recommend getting this evaluated.
SO, I would check a pelvic exam, a Pelvic ultrasound, a TSH thyroid blood test, an Endometrial biopsy of the inside of your uterus, a pelvic ultrasound.
Also, hopefully you get annual Mammograms for your breasts, and if you have not had a colonoscopy of your large intestine yet, it should be done.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, we only get compensated for answering your questions when you click on ACCEPT, thank you.