Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have sharp shooting pain on the left side of my breast near

I have sharp shooting pain on the left side of my breast near my chest. The pain seems to originate from my ribs along the breast line slightly under my breast. I do wear underwire bras and the pain is very close if not on the wire line. I wear different bras but they all have wires. The pain come and go. I am 4'9' and have a 36 DD chest? I can feel the spot on my rib cage where the pain is coming from.

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Does this feel like it is on the surface more than down deep?
What was your last mammogram and what were the resuls?
What medications do you take?
How long have you had this pain?
Do you have regular periods?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I feel like the pain central pain area is more deep down on the rib cage. My last mammogram was over a year ago. I am in the process of scheduling one. Insurance reasons had to wait till 1st of the year. I just finished a 14 day course of Bactrim for sinus issue on left side. That didn't work to good so I am now on Avelox.(pain started before this med.) I take protonix daily and triamterene-hctz 37.5-25 mg cp for bloating during cycle as needed. Pain started friday. Woke me up from a sound sleep. I have irregular periods.
Is the pain on the left side of your left breast or right breast? Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Left breast... outer side ( left arm side)
So it sounds like the pain and tender area are more located on the rib rather than the breast? Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. I can feel the area on my rib. I don't understand the sharp pains.Sometimes it doesn't hurt unless i annoy the area with movement. Pain seems to radiate to my breast. I do workout. last workout was thurs morning. pain started Fri night when sleeping. it woke me up out of a sound sleep. The past two weeks I did have a few twinges of sharp pains in rt breast. But then they were gone.
I suspect that your pain is from a pulled muscle. There are muscles between all the ribs, and you may have pulled it during movement in your sleep. Other possible causes would be pleurisy (inflammation of the lining in the chest) or the early stages of shingles. I would treat the area with heat and rest, and see your doctor if it's not going away. If the pain goes on for a while, an x-ray of the rib is indicated. The mammogram is also a good idea, although it sounds like the pain isn't really from your breast. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.