Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn Doctor

Why do I feel like throwing up when Im on my period Besides the horrible cramp

Customer Question

Why do I feel like throwing up when I'm on my period? Besides the horrible cramps, for 3 days I feel like I need to vomit constantly. It has gotten worse with age. I used to only be down for about 24hrs. but now I am out of commission for 3 days. People are always telling me I should just get a hysterectomy and be done with it, what do you think?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Pfeiffer replied 5 years ago.

you likely suffer a visceral reflex that makes you nauseated, which would indicate severe pain..or, you have dramatic hormonal shifts that result in nausea. Either way, hysterectomy may be an option for you, but I tend to have patients with atypical presentations run a trial course of Depo Lupron. This medication puts you in chemical menopause and gives you a glimpse of what life would be after a complete hysterectomy. So, I think a trial of Lupron and if it helps consider a hysterectomy for definitive treatment.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would I need a complete hysterectomy to get rid of both the pain and the ill feeling? I was only considering a partial hysterectomy, thinking I could still keep my ovaries and go through normal menopause.

It depends on the etiology. If there is endometriosis involved, the ovaries would need to come out. You certainly could have a hysterectomy with the understanding that all pain may not go away and you may need additional surgery on the ovaries.

Try the Lupron first - you can do it for 6 months and sometimes there is relief for an additional 6 months.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX more question. Do you have any suggestions on other ways to get rid of the nausea/sick feeling I get during the 1st few days of my cycle?

Ok. Try motrin 800mg every 8 hours a few days before your expected period. Consider a continuous birth control regimen (if not contraindicated for you) and minimize the number of periods you have in a given year. That would be another alternative to surgery.

Dr. Pfeiffer