Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I just found out that my wife ate cold pepperoni pizza last

I just found out that my wife ate cold pepperoni pizza last weekend. She is 8 weeks pregnant.
Could this be a source of listeria - it was obvious cooked to piping hot and then put into the refrigerator and cold to the proper temperature.

It's a long story but we were told she lost the baby only to find out she hadn't - anyway; also if I eat lunchmeat or uncooked pepperoni and then touch a door knob could she touch the door and gt listeria? or does she actually have to consume the meat or product in question?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 years ago.
Pregnant women are more susceptible to listeria than non pregnant women, but it's still a fairly rare disease (although the listeria organisms are quite common). As long as the pizza was cooked normally, it's no longer a source for listeria infection. Although you may leave some listeria organisms on a door knob, there is virtually no chance that your wife could develop an infection from touching the door knob. She would have to eat the food containing listeria that have been reproducing in the food. We live daily among millions of bacteria and other organisms. As long as we use normal care in food handling and preparation and normal hand washing, it's not necessary to worry about the multitude of possible infections we could develop. Best wishes to you both.