Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

do they normally test for herpes when you are pregnant

Customer Question

do they normally test for herpes when you are pregnant?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Kala :

Hi, Let me help you understand your current health care problem. I offer compassionate, considerate information.

Dr. Kala :

Herpes is not part of the routine tests performed during the first prenatal visit. However you can request a blood test at any time.

JACUSTOMER-si2h9qk3- :

I have been with the same partner for over a year and a half now, have never had any signs of herpes, but i recently broke out with blisters down there after using a yeast infection medicine, i don't know what to think about this

Dr. Kala :

Herpes can present with blisters they are usually sensitive. It may also be an allergic reaction to a new hygiene product. Have your provider take a look at it.

JACUSTOMER-si2h9qk3- :

is it possible that it could be herpes even if i've never had an outbreak and have been with the same person for such a long period of time? It is just a very embarrassing situation, i am pretty positive he has been faithful as well

Dr. Kala :

Yes it is possible but first get the test before worrying.

JACUSTOMER-si2h9qk3- :

ok, thank you very much for your help today!

Dr. Kala :

you are welcome.