Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I am 6 weeks pregnant and I work at a spa as an Esthetician,

I am 6 weeks pregnant and I work at a spa as an Esthetician, and we are bringing in a laser hair removal machine. My question is, if its safe to perform laser on my clients, while im pregnant? is there any radiation from the machine that can harm the baby?

thank you.
Most likely it's safe to perform laser treatments on your clients, but there are no studies to confirm this. The radio frequency radiation from the laser only goes a few millimeters into the skin and is very focused, so there should be no risk to your baby. The Health Physics Society specializes in radiation safety, and says that laser hair removal is safe for the fetus. However, most laser hair removal treatment centers won't accept pregnant women for treatment because they don't want to be blamed when miscarriage or other pregnancy problem occurs. All I can say is that we are not aware of any risks associated with laser hair removal while pregnant, and it's probably safe for a pregnant woman to have or to do. Best wishes.