Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

48 years old. had spotting after cycle. when to doc had pelvic,

48 years old. had spotting after cycle. when to doc had pelvic, blood test and ultra sound. Vaginal ultra-sound showed lining at 3.5 tsh or hormone level was 48.9 thyoid normal. He thought I was fine. I started spotting again after missed period. normal bleed then stopped bleeding then 4-5 days later spotting. I do not want any test or biopsys not needed. His nurse told me to call if I get any other symptoms. Before spotting I had days of night sweats and headache now, headache is gone. Do I have to get a endo biopsy? THey told me Im in late stage memonpause? I am in good health no meds 5"7 148# XXXXX 5 days a week and eat well.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 4 years ago.

How many days after your cycle did you get the vaginal ultrasound which showed your lining to be 3.5? How many days had you been spotting before then?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got the ultra-sound while still spotting and then the spotting stopped after that visit. I was on my 7th day of spotting. No other symptoms

If your endometrial lining was 3.5 on 7 days after your period and while still spotting, then that is on the higher side - I am sorry to tell you that an endometrial biopsy will be a good decision.

As you probably already know, the thickness of the endometrial lining changes throughout the menstrual cycle ina woman in the active reroductive period. It is very less just after the periods and increasing to about 6-8mm about 14 days after the periods. At 7 days after the periods, the thickness is usually 2-3 mm.

In a woman in menopause, the thickness should not be more than 4mm at any stage. At 3.5mm, you are just on the borderline. And with a history of spotting, an endometrial biopsy will be ideal.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. One more question. I had a hystergram done once and they had to stop because of extreme pain. I had 2 C-sections and I have a closed cervix do I have any options? #2 sorry Could it just be hormones?

Yes, it could be due to hormonal imbalance. Chances are that the biopsy will show that your endometrium is normal and that the mild thickness is due to abnormal hormonal level common at this age.

But it will be better to get the biopsy and settle the issue.

Since you have a closed cervix and a hysterogram failed, you will need to get the biopsy done under general anesthesia in the OT. This will help relax the muscles and make the biopsy easier and painless for you. The cerix is not completley closed since you do have some bleeding from the uterus. This opening will be adequate to bring out some endmetrial tissue for examination under the microscope.

I hope this helps.

Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience: MD (Obst&Gynecology)