Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I recently had a ct scan for pain in the right groin area.

I recently had a ct scan for pain in the right groin area. results non-specific diffuse bladder wall thickening. The uterus is abnormally enlarged and contains a small amount of fluid within the endometrail cavity. left ovarian cyst. I have family history of cancer my mother had colon cancer several years ago and now has pertineal cancer. What would be my next step? See an urologist? I am 48 years old and I still have a normal cycle.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 years ago.
Have you had a colonoscopy? Has your doctor found the enlarged uterus also? Are you having any problems with urination? Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had a colonoscopy when I was 40 it was fine. The ct scan states no bowel obstruction, free air and free fluid. no problems urination. I have done alot of heavy lifting an originally thought maybe hernia but ct scan shows none.
I would recommend seeing both a urologist and a gynecologist. Bladder wall thickening may or may not be significant, and the urologist can help figure that you, possibly with a cystoscopy, where a scope is used to look into the bladder. The gynecologist can evaluate the enlarged uterus, which most of the time is due to uterine fibroids, which are common benign tumors. One of these doctors can also help to evaluate for a groin hernia, since physical exam can sometimes be more helpful than a CT scan. As long as you're having normal periods, the free fluid in the uterus doesn't mean much. Most ovarian cysts come and go and are not significant. Best wishes.