Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I am on Tri Sprintec. I would like to skip my period for this

I am on Tri Sprintec. I would like to skip my period for this month. Is it healthy to do so? And how do I do that?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Since you're on the pill, it's usually fairly easy to skip your period, and it's healthy to do so. All you have to do is to skip the placebo (white) pills and start in on a new pack when you finish the first 21 pills of the current pack. Sometimes women might have a little spotting during the month when they skip their period, but most likely you won't. There are other pills that are designed to be taken for 3 months and then having a period (Seasonale, Seasonique), but this can be done with most birth control pills. It doesn't work for everyone, but works for most women. The only possible problem is breakthrough bleeding or spotting, but even if that happens, the pill is still protecting you from pregnancy. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your timely response, Dr. Norman. I have done some research, and there was a discrepancy between what to do if you're on monophasic vs triphasic. Since mine is triphasic, I am more prone to spotting. But if I continue to take my pill every day, I am protected from pregnancy even if there is spotting, right?

Sorry to follow-up, but I would like to clarify everything before I skip my placebo pills. Also, I understand that there are 3 month pills, but this is only a one time thing.

Thank you again.
You're correct that you will be protected even if there is spotting. You're also correct that because you're on a triphasic, you're a little more prone to spotting. However, my bet is that you won't have any spotting, and if you do, it will be very light.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.