Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

I have been diagnosed with a 2.2 cm Simple Ovarian Cyst and

I have been diagnosed with a 2.2 cm Simple Ovarian Cyst and Hydrosalpinx (on the Right side) by my doctor recently and she wants to do surgery. I am trying to avoid surgery at all costs and save my right ovary and have an appointment with another doctor for a second opinion in one month (the soonest I could get). I have been reading a lot about ovarian cysts and have recently made changes to my diet (whole foods and sunflower market) trying to eat as organic and as natural as I can to eliminate as much xenoestrogens as possible from my environment. I am 47 years old, 110 lbs, 5'5" and right now the only medication I am taking is for my high blood pressure (diovan HCT 320 - 12.5 Mg) once a day (which I would love to reduce in dosage and hopefully, go off someday). I have gone off low level birth control pills as of last week as I have read multiple books including "What your doctor may Not tell you about Premenopause" by John R. Lee, MD, et al. I have also started taking 'New Chapters Every Woman II' multiple vitamins daily and want to start a topical progesterone creme for three months as suggested by multiple doctors I have read online to help eliminate my cyst.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to justanswer.
If the cyst is simple than I really don't think you need to consider surgery as first option.Secondly if cystic lesion is more than 3 cms then only it is considered as cyst or else it can be even simple ovarian follicle.But at your age surely it should be considered that the cyst cyst is simple by ruling other causes of cystic ovarian lesion.Progesterone is what I would like give a try first.I think you should consider a second opinion.Please ask if there are further questions or if you want me to explain anything.Thank you.Take care.Best luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Here is what the paper-work from the Women's Imaging clinic states: 'Uterine dimensions are below. The myometrial echotexture is with normal limits. The central endometrial echo complex measures 4 mm and appears well defined. The right ovary measures 2.5 x 2.2 x 1.7 cm and contains a 2.2 cm simple cyst. Adjacent to the right ovary is a tubular fluid collection consistent with a hydrosalpinx. The left ovary measures 2.1 x 2.0 x 1.5 cm. Both ovaries demonstrate a normal sonographic appearance. No evidence for adnexal mass or pevic free fluid. The uterus measures 8.0 x 4.1 x 3.6 cm. No adnexal masses are seen. The kidneys were cursorily scanned revealing no evidence for hydronephrosis.'

I have an appointment to get a second opinion and the earliest appointment I could get as 'a new patient' is on December 16th. I just don't want to worry until then but my regular gyn doctor seems to be surgery happy. The hydrosalpinx is also a concern. Should I worry about that?? I have no pain except a bit of a pinch when I get my period. It is not like I am going to have children at my age so I am thinking not to worry about the hydrosalpinx on the right side. What do you think?

Hello; Perhaps you will permit my suggestions. I have forty years of practice and teaching in ob/gyn/oncology. The first thing is that you have no indication for surgery of any kind at this time,. Not only the size, but also the simple character of the cyst confirms its nature as either functional or benign and deserves only to be observed by ultrasound. If the cyst was 5 or more cm or had compexities, that would be different. The hydrosalpinx has been there for an unknown number of years and does not threaten your well being.No hormone therapy will change an ovarian cyst.
These findings did not happen becasue of faulty diet and any dietary change will not have any effect on the cyst,which may disappear at any time on its own. Progesterone cream is worthless for most women and will not have any impact on the ovaries..You should not have gone off the low-dose birth control pills and should stay on them until early fifties. Good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good Morning Doctor Gibstein,

Thank you for your email and opinion. I feel much better now and will wait until I get in to see a new doctor next month. The only reason I went back on Orthro Tricyclen Lo (not genetic) was to control fairly heavy periods and according to my doctor get my hormones in check which 'may' reduce the size of my ovarian cyst. My husband is 'fixed' so it is not for birth control. One more question - are you saying it is ok to be on the pill eventhough it is not helping with the cyst but it is keeping me regular and I am having lighter periods?

Again, thanks for your help!

Yes, that is what I am saying. OCs will not effect an ovarian cyst.

Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.