Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

What is the average number of eggs retrieved in an IVF cycle

What is the average number of eggs retrieved in an IVF cycle for a 41 year old female with a day 3 FSH of 10.5?

Dr. Kala :

Hi, Let me help you understand your current health care problem. I offer compassionate, considerate information. Of course the average number depends on the woman but typically 10-12 are retrieved ideally, but some women it may only be 5-6.

Dr. Kala :

Hope this is clear, if not let me know.

Customer:

Are 10-12 eggs ideally retrieved from someone my age? I am 41 years old. I had a day 3 FSH level of 10.5. I've been on Follistem and Menapur for the last 5 days. The ultrasound showed that I only had 4 follicles so far. When I asked the RN about freezing any extra eggs after the retrieval she told me that I would not have any extra eggs. I asked if any more eggs might mature she said maybe, but couldn't give me estimate.

Dr. Kala :

If you are taking hormones in advance of the retrieval the more eggs the better. However I have seen women at 40 who have less and @ 44-45 have more. There are many factors involved including genetics. If you only have 4 follicles then you will probably only get 5-6 eggs retrieved.

Dr. Kala :

Hope this is clearer.

Customer:

Thank you. I understand a little more now.